cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Too many messages (2.3.2.3)

Go to solution

Been using Thunderbird for a number of years for my emails, 3 days ago I got an alert saying too many messages (2.3.2.3) from 147.148.148.30.  ...try again.   I haven't sent more than a handful all week.  BT say that because the webmail is working that's what I should use.  They can't unlock the blockage on their SMTP server for my email address.  Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do next?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Too many messages (2.3.2.3)

Go to solution

@rogingwrote:

Been using Thunderbird for a number of years for my emails, 3 days ago I got an alert saying too many messages (2.3.2.3) from 147.148.148.30.  ...try again.   I haven't sent more than a handful all week.  BT say that because the webmail is working that's what I should use.  They can't unlock the blockage on their SMTP server for my email address.  Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do next?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Once again BT are giving bad advice.

However, your issue could be for a few reasons - one being that the server has locked your account from access via app/client because it might believe the account has been compromised. That could be due to a spammer using your email address as the "From" address in their spam run - causing the system to stupidly block it.

Have you had any strange bounce or non delivery reports recently?

Sometimes this issue can clear after a while, though much less than 3 days.

A password change can sometimes clear the issue - but if you do alter the password, make sure that any device that auto-checks emails every few minutes is prevented from doing so first. Then wait at least 15 minutes after the password change to try Thunderbird.

If this fails with the same issue, then a moderator will be needed to investigate the account to see if it has been locked. Despite what you've been told, it can be unlocked if that is the issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, thanks, I've not had any strange bounce or non-delivery.

BT haven't been at all helpful, all they say is that because webmail works nothing else can be done.  The operator I spoke with didn't know anything about SMTP and I couldn't get any further.   How and from where do I get hold of a moderator?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@rogingwrote:

Hi, thanks, I've not had any strange bounce or non-delivery.

BT haven't been at all helpful, all they say is that because webmail works nothing else can be done.  The operator I spoke with didn't know anything about SMTP and I couldn't get any further.   How and from where do I get hold of a moderator?

It's good you've not had any NDRs.

If you've not done so, do the password change and see what happens.

Then pop back, and either a moderator will see the message or one of the community leaders will notify them. It can be a couple of days, since they are a busy team.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Done that, not made any difference.  Can still receive but get error message when sending.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Problem seems to have resolved itself.  Thanks for all the input and time.

0 Ratings