cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 37

Transfer of BT Yahoo to BT Mail

I'm still currently on BT Yahoo and have many thousands of emails on the server which arrived via a BT Yahoo disposable email address.

I'm just a little unclear what happens to these email as opposed to those which arrived via my official BT email address.

I appreciate you can't move across any BT Yahoo disposable addresses but what happens to the emails which arrived via a disposable address prior to the transfer?

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Transfer of BT Yahoo to BT Mail

They will be deleted if they are in the disposable email address account.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 37

Thanks for the response, I'm not clear about "they will be deleted if they are in the disposable email address account". I only have the one account which is ******@btinternet.com. My understanding is that using the disposable emal address means that any emails sent to that address will still land up in my  ******@btinternet.com account. What is a disposable email address account as opposed to a disposable email address?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 37

Assuming the mails have been delivered to your normal xxxx@btinternet.com inbox, they should remain there. However, I would seriously consider whether you wish to trust anybody not to accidently lose important mail. I certainly don't trust anybody else and keep all my email locally on my backed-up PC.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 37

Thanks.  I use a combination of leaving some emails on the server  whilst downloading others (any I download are deleted from the server) to my PC and carrying out regular backups. I would hate to think I have to download the many thousands of emails on the server spread amongst quite a number of folders.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 37

In preparation for the change over, I have progressively removed my disposable addresses, it seems quite random but some emails sent to an old disposable address come in to my main email address. I do however wonder if it was a wasted effort as there seems to be no sign of any change over.

What will really annoy me is if it suddenly changes without any notice as although I have prepared I will need to reapply filters.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 37

@allanraymond wrote:

Thanks for the response, I'm not clear about "they will be deleted if they are in the disposable email address account".

That took me by surprise. Are you sure about that gg30340? I assumed that once delivered to a BTYahoo account, they remain there.

I only have the one account which is ******@btinternet.com. My understanding is that using the disposable emal address means that any emails sent to that address will still land up in my  ******@btinternet.com account. What is a disposable email address account as opposed to a disposable email address?

As far as I know, a disposable address is one that you set up that is associated with a specific email account. If you have only one mail account you can set up multiple disposables, and all will be directed to that account. The BTYahoo disposables might look like they belong to a different account because they end in ......@yahoo.co.uk.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

@allanraymond wrote:

Thanks for the response, I'm not clear about "they will be deleted if they are in the disposable email address account". I only have the one account which is ******@btinternet.com. My understanding is that using the disposable emal address means that any emails sent to that address will still land up in my  ******@btinternet.com account. What is a disposable email address account as opposed to a disposable email address?

My mistake, it has been a while since I used any disposable email addresses and I forgot that they do indeed put the emails into the inbox of the master email address that set them up. The emails will be migrated along with any other folders that are in the master email account.

It is the disposable email addresses that will be deleted when the account is migrated.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 37

I'm glad my thoughts on emails sent to my disposable address lands up in my BY mail account aligns with the responses to my query
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

I still wouldn't trust BT not to lose them though!!

0 Ratings