cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 37

Re: Transfer of BT Yahoo to BT Mail

I would be interested to know if anyone who has been transferred from BT Yahoo to BT Mail lost any of their emails as a result of the move?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 37

Yes, there were reports of that happening. If you have a search through the forum you should find them, the posts that is, not the emails.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 37

Thanks for the response. I've carried out a quick search of the Forum and found quite a number of different threads about losing emails, however I couldn't actually see a defintive response as to any being recovered. I saw Moderators asking some of those to contact them but I couldn't see an outcome to thsese requests. Whilst I could download all the emails which are on the server to my PC, the problem I have is that the emails on the server are spread over quite a lot of folders and I don't see how I can replicate each folder on my PC to that on the server so that the dowloaded emails are diverted to the corresponding folder on my PC.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 37

I don't use Thunderbird email client but I think you can set it up as IMAP, which will replicate your folders on the server, and have it set to download them onto your computer.

If you have a read through this link it might help you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/imap-synchronization

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 37

Thanks, I'll check it out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 37

Thunderbird will replicate any folders set up on the server when configured as IMAP as will Windows Live Mail. You can try both and see, nothing is lost.

0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 37

Hi not really up on copying emails in case they are lost when moved over to BT email, could someone please advise what I need to do?  many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 37

You need to install an email client such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail. Set it up as a POP3 account with the box "leave a copy of emails on server" ticked.

This will allow you to download any emails that are in your emaill inbox on BTYahoo. It will not download any emails in the sent foldrs or any other folders that you may have set up on BTYahoo. Once they are all downloaded you can then perform a backup of the emails if you want.

If however you have more folders on BTYahoo such as the sent folder and perhaps ones that you have stored emails in you will need to set the email client up as an IMAP account. This will give you access to the folders on your computer and you can set the email client to save the folder and contents to your computer.

If you have read through the link I posted in message 14 it will give you an idea of what is involved. 

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 37

You could also download messages stored in other folders by moving them to the inbox. Probably OK if it's dozens but a lot of work if it's hundreds. Most of us keep far more messages than we really need to; time for a spot of spring cleaning?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 37

when i download Thunderbird do I click standard or custom? I am wanting to save emails from inbox, some sent and other folders I have info in, should I therefore go for custom? and is it easy to do?  many thanks

0 Ratings