cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Trash empties in 5 days

On BT mail, the message history in trash only lasts 7 days. So if you delete a message, it's gone after a week. Anyone know if this setting can be amended please?

Or can messages be deleted direct to a different folder that doesn't empty itself every week? I know you can move to a different folder, but delete button is quicker if this can be used

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Trash empties in 5 days

The Trash folder normally empties on a 30 day rolling program and it can not be changed.  

Do you access your email using a web browser or using an email client /app and do you access it on more than one device. If so you should check that the email client/app has not been set to empty the Trash folder more frequently than 30 days.

The delete button is for deleting emails to the Trash folder and its designated purpose can not be changed.

If you do not want something to be deleted perhaps you should not put it into trash and instead move it to a "pending" folder until you have decided that you actually want to delete it.

In case you are not aware you can drag and drop multiple emails into folders by just ticking all the ones you want to move then drag and drop them which may prove to be just as quick as using the delete button.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thank you so much for your helpful reply and tips.

My trash empties after 7 days (not my typo in the heading!) in both web browser and also on the Apple devices where I also access messages. So even the default 30 days would be better but you're saying this should be standard and can't be changed. So I am confused but thanks anyway for your help.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Did you check your device settings to see if they are configured to empty trash after 7 days thus overriding the default 30 days?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Do you know where I go to on BT Mail web browser to check/amend this setting please?
Thanks

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Its not the web browser you need to look at, you can't change it there, it is your Apple devices that have probably been set to delete mails after 7 days. You need to check their settings.

Les-Gibson
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

It may have changed with later releases of iOS but it used to be here.

Settings
Mail
Advanced ->Mail
Advanced (no, not a typo)
Deleted Messages ->Remove

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
0 Ratings