cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fifix69
Beginner
Message 21 of 36

Re: Trying to Access my Email via Yahoo webmail (like normal) and getting redirected to BT page - he

Go to solution

ia am having this problem aswell and I am a bt customer so its happening regardless of that, its been happening to me for about the last 48hrs but can still get it on my phone just not my laptop so i aso would be glad of any help

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 36

Re: Trying to Access my Email via Yahoo webmail (like normal) and getting redirected to BT page - he

Go to solution

Can you access your mail at the link @DanielS provided?

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 36

Go to solution

What I find particularly intriguing is using google search for "bt email login" I get quite a few different accesses into the bt email system its no wonder everyone seems so confused. I'm not fully convinced this should be so damned confusing but what is worse is that the links being provided are so long and convouluted and look like they are open to changes down the line.

If I was in charge I would solve this once and for all by having a single start point for btmail such as say

mail.bt.com (Don't use this its already taken for something else)

BT has its own front end on BT.com and the mail link on the right would be ok I guess but to be fair someone at BT seems to think its got to make this so complicated. I know it really isn't but many of us on here who are carping on about "do it this way" "do it that way" have been around the web block a few times and frankly should know better. What the poor ordinary user must be thinking is stuff this i'll go elsewhere where they do know how to manage things and do know how to make live changes that don't affect me as a user. (I know its never that green on the other side of the fence). Thing is if BT wants to keep customers then it really has to simplify the customers life considerably more than it is at the moment and in the future.

Sadly mail.bt.com looks like an internal BT system so that option is out.

For me unless BT pulls the plug on BTYahoo, very unlikely as I was promised to be transfered quite a long while ago before BT realised it was not quite as simple to manage these things as they thought, a much simpler routing option would surely suffice. Not the longwinded item that we seem to be presented with above. The really annoying thing is that the "yahoo.com" way in is so much simpler in my view and thats where i'll be until they completely lock it off - Please BT try and work the K.I.S.S rule.

0 Ratings
crest21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 36

Go to solution

I get the same using Firefox & Chrome, but Internet Explorer still works!

Go to BT.com using IE, Select Email and login as normal.

Thunderbird & Android also still working so accounts arn't suspended.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 25 of 36

Go to solution

Hi @Bltfreefly,

Thanks for all the posts and I am sorry about any confusion caused.

If you try and login to a BT email address (@btinternet.com, @btopenworld.com or @talk21.com) via the Yahoo web mail portal then you will be redirected to BT's own web mail portal.  This new redirect process has been recently implemented by BT which means you will only be able to access your BT email account via web mail, directly from our web mail portal, BT Webmail: Login

Among other things, having our mail customers logging in via BT web mail as opposed to Yahoo web mail allows us to track, more accurately, the use of the email address.  This will mean when BT choose to delete an email address for non-usage we can be sure that the email address is not being used.

I am sorry if this change will cause you any inconvenience in the future but I am afraid this change is here to stay.

Cheers

Sean

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 36

Go to solution

@SeanDwrote:

Hi @Bltfreefly,

Thanks for all the posts and I am sorry about any confusion caused.

If you try and login to a BT email address (@btinternet.com, @btopenworld.com or @talk21.com) via the Yahoo web mail portal then you will be redirected to BT's own web mail portal.  This new redirect process has been recently implemented by BT which means you will only be able to access your BT email account via web mail, directly from our web mail portal, BT Webmail: Login

Among other things, having our mail customers logging in via BT web mail as opposed to Yahoo web mail allows us to track, more accurately, the use of the email address.  This will mean when BT choose to delete an email address for non-usage we can be sure that the email address is not being used.

I am sorry if this change will cause you any inconvenience in the future but I am afraid this change is here to stay.

Cheers

Sean

It is atrocious that BT did use so many different ways to login to webmail, and link to different ways in various help pages - that needs to be fixed. Why can't your coders sort this out properly?

It does seem like all these links to go to one place though.

www.bt.com/mail

is the shortest link that should be quoted (the other unwina mentioned is for internal BT use).

What I am surprised at is the fact that you need this portal to track webmail access, since to me the act of logging in with the username and password would clearly mean a valid interaction with the user database irrespective of using Yahoo or not. That should surely trigger a reset of the non use counter.

unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 36

Go to solution

Well said andy, sadly bt web services have been atrocious for some time but thankfully i dont have to go there that often. I'm amazed sometimes that the lack of any consistent design means there are so many ways to skin a cat and bt webdesign seems to have created most of them over the last few years.

I guess you still get what you pay for ... 

edit: just thought of something, now that I have to log into email every 30 minutes or less then the logs they may be creating from this must be getting somewhat large to say the least. Seems to me you are right Andy but the logs will be huge so if they have the same bad design all through then searching of relevant logs will probably be cumbersome too. Hopefully they just have a customer log with a last access field but my guess is that is too simple. Who know I've been out of this large data arena for more than a decade now.

0 Ratings
Bltfreefly
Beginner
Message 28 of 36

Go to solution
Sean,

Is there anyway of transferring my email address to be run from a freemium service? Can yahoo take over running my email account?

Your value for a paid email service aren’t out weighing the feeemium services available to consumers.

Sad and annoying to feel forced to change email address but current impression and view of service doesn’t really leave me with many options.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 36

Go to solution

I'm sure someone better informed will be able to answer but my understanding is that if you leave you should have lost your email and the £7.50 is the cost to retain it. BT is just closing the previous holes in their systems.

The cynic in me thinks that the previous cheaper cost was not detering people enough to not leave and pay the fee to keep the email, but thats just me as a consumer

As an ex employee I'm always saddened by the way BT seems to manage to keep annoying customers but I guess from an economic standpoint there is probably little incentive to improve things that much when they have a sticky customer base. 

The prices elsewhere are not that great when I factor in my movement away from BT always being curtailed by retention incentives when my contracts come up for renewal. The 7.50 cost makes it harder for the external companies to compete with my acceptance of the retention deals. Until the costs become more than noise in the margin for me and my investment in the company is no longer there I would find it much easier to jump ship, but that's just me.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 36

Go to solution

You can not transfer your BT email address to another ISPs domain nor can you have Yahoo "take over running" it.

There is nothing premium about the BT Premium email service. It is exactly the same as any person who is a BT Broadband customer would/does have.

All it does for its £7.50 charge is allow any one who had a BT email address retain it after they are no longer a BT Broadband customer.

It might take a bit of time and effort to notify your contacts etc if you change your email address but if you go for a free non ISP email account such as gmail you will only need to do that once.

0 Ratings