cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Shels
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Trying to set up new direct debit for Premium Mail - please help!

My husband and I have been users for some time of BT Premium Mail, paying for it via direct debit.  We signed up for Premium Mail when we changed ISPs from BT to Sky, as we were told we have to do so or we would lose our BT email addresses.  I recently had to cancel that direct debit as the bank account from which it was taken was being closed.  I've now spent countless hours over the last few days just trying to set up a new direct debit to pay for our BT Premium Mail. I've contacted BT via the chat helpline, and they said it had to be done over the phone. 

My husband then talked to someone whose English was not good, with a terrible phone connection, and had an impossible time trying to explain what he was trying to do(!)  Why is this so difficult??  We're trying to pay BT, for goodness' sake!

Although BT is not our ISP, we do rent the landline from them.  We pay for that via direct debit, but it has always been a separate direct debit than the one for Premium Mail.  We were told that the charge for Premium Mail cannot be included on the BT bill for the landline rental.

My biggest concern is that access to our email accounts is going to stop, as the original direct debits were cancelled. 

Please can someone help me answer the following:

1.  Can anyone confirm whether we actually need to have "BT Premium Mail" at all, or whether we are entitled to free BT email addresses since we rent our landline from BT?   When I log into myBT and use the service that checks what kind of email you have, it says "You are currently on the BT Yahoo Mail Service."  Does that mean we actually don't need to pay for it?

2. If we do have to pay for BT Premium Mail, how can we set up a direct debit for it??  Please don't send me the links to set up a direct debit on the BT site, as those don't work - it asks for an account number.  Our account number is linked to the landline rental, for which we have a direct debit, and has nothing to do with the BT Premium Mail.  We have no idea how to get an account number for BT Premium Mail, as we've never actually received a bill for it(!)

We would be very grateful for any help with this, as we don't want to lose our long-time email addresses.

thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Trying to set up new direct debit for Premium Mail - please help!

Unless you have BT Broadband, you will still need to pay for Premium Mail which is now £5 a month. You may be better moving your e-mail to one of the free services like Gmail, as it does not matter which ISP you use.

If you ever move back to BT Broadband, then your Premium Mail account can be associated with your broadband account, and would be free.

Have you tried ringing the Premium Mail helpline on 0808 100 6778 ?

0 Ratings
Shels
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

hi -

Thank you for your answer.  My husband and I do have other free email addresses but still want to keep the BT email addresses just because we have had them for so long.  One agent did say we could continue to pay 1.60 per month for the next 12 months - but was unable to set up a direct debit for us to do so!

Yes, my husband tried ringing the Premium Mail line and got nowhere.  The agent's English was very bad and it was a terrible line, and the agent couldn't seem to understand what he was asking for.

So unfortunately, this is not solved - is there a forum moderator that can help??  We just want to set up a direct debit to pay for the BT Premium Mail so that our email addresses are not cancelled.

thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Shels Sorry you are having such difficulty getting the direct debit set up. 

Are you to log into your Premium mail account at www.bt.com/mybt and using your BT ID. If so you can set up your direct debit payment there. If not and you still require our help with this then send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Shels
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, John.

We can log in to MyBT and go to manage my billing, but the bill is only for the landline rental - and we are already paying that via direct debit.  There is no record of the BT Premium Mail service on the bill or otherwise.  I always paid the 1.60 per month for the Premium Mail via a separate direct debit, which I recently cancelled because we had to change that particular bank account.

I will do the contact the mods option and send you more details.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings