cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smileatlife
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Turn off so called spam filters

I only really use pop3 and imap to access my emails, multiple addresses and the BTmail spam filters are driving me mad! Why can I not turn them off myself and decide myself what is and is not spam ? Even my usual ebay emails have recently been treated as spam by the so called BTemail spam filters. I have been using my own solution for years with now almost perfect results. Sadly BTmail is far from perfect and I don't want to reinvent the wheel by using webmail to tell BTmail its not spam. Are there any options to turn this so called spam filtering off????

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Turn off so called spam filters

You can not turn off the BT spam filters.

You need to use webmail to do this but if your "genuine" email is ending up in spam you can mark it as not spam and add it to your safe sender list.

You can also add a domain to the safe sender list so that may help with likes of ebay emails.

The spam filter will allegedly catch up if you do the above.

smileatlife
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

In all honesty I want to see all my emails via pop3 or imap and decide myself what is spam. I have a number of email addresses and don't want have to log into clunky webmail just to train BT spam filters. Its like a postman deciding what letters he wants to deliver and leaving the rest at the postoffice for you to collect! 😠

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

@smileatlife wrote:

In all honesty I want to see all my emails via pop3 or imap and decide myself what is spam.

As I have already said you can not turn off the spam filters.

Depending on which email client you are using you could set your IMAP account to synchronise with the BT spam folder and decide what to do with the spam in your email client but you can not "add to safe senders" etc from the email client.

You can not set BTMail to download spam using POP3.

0 Ratings
smileatlife
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Exactly, "Its like a postman deciding what letters he wants to deliver and leaving the rest at the postoffice for you to collect!"  infuriating 😞

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

I'm pretty sure that if BT turned off the spam filters of your email account you would be more than infuriated. Your inbox would be inundated with thousands of spam messages that are blocked long before they get to your inbox box.

As regards the spam that does get placed into your spam box, that is done with email which BT spam filters are unsure of if it is a genuine email or spam.

As far as BT are concerned they are dealing with your spam, it is you that is choosing to use a method to access your email that BT have no control over. Other than doing as I suggested with an IMAP account there is nothing further that I suspect you can do about it.

smileatlife
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

So that is probably why I don't even receive some emails any more, not even in the spam folder.... the postman has decided they are spam and thrown them away, he has kept the ones that he THINKS might be ok at the postoffice for me to collect... delivering the rest. I'd like the choice to have the sack of mail delivered, even more so seeing what is considered as being spam by BT Mail.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Well with BTMail you can't. Try another email provider and see if they can oblige and deliver every bit of spam to you. If you find one that will do that please post back and let us know who will do it. 

0 Ratings
Mr_Onion
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

@smileatlifewrote:

Exactly, "Its like a postman deciding what letters he wants to deliver and leaving the rest at the postoffice for you to collect!"  infuriating 😞

Exactly so. I have a total of 1 SPAM email a week, probably less, over 7 email accounts. BT is the only (repeat ONLY) email account that prevents me from accessing my legitimate email messages without having to go to the WebMail page.

An example of how pathetic the SPAM filter is. Over the last few months I have had emails from a company enquiring about a product. All have reached my inbox. Today I made a purchase. Did I get an email? Go on guess.

Thats right, this time the email went into BT Webmail SPAM despite it being from the same address as all of the others.

I think its time to dump BT mail.

OFF TOPIC. TBH its almost as frustrating as this software., ignoring the usual BBCodes in favour of its own.  Why would anyone do that?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

If your email client is configured as IMAP rather than POP3, you can download the spam folder without having to visit webmail.

By definition, if you are using POP3, you will not be able to access the spam folder of ANY provider's mail system other than via webmail. 

However, I agree the BT spam filtering is flaky at best.

0 Ratings