Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Two Factor Authentication does not work for me

Go to solution

I was excited when I saw at last that Two Factor Authentification had arrived in BT Mail. I immediately set it up.

However now whenever my wife tries to sign into her BT Mail on our computer, I am sent a code to input. The software does not seem able to recognise who is signing in. I have tried trusting the computer but my cookie scrubber deletes this so that will not work either.

It has taken years for BT to catch up with the competition on security, it is a shame that thier solution is unworkable for people who share the same computer.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Two Factor Authentication does not work for me

Go to solution

It has nothing to do with sharing the same computer. It is to do with how the BT email accounts are "owned" and are managed.

Have you "gifted" your wife's email account to her?

If you did she will have her own BTID and can log onto her own MyBT and manage her email account. Once there she can set up two factor authentication for her email account.

If you did not gift her the email account it means that it is still part of your email accounts and is managed by you and if you have set up 2FA it will notify you because it is one of your email accounts albeit you are letting your wife use it. 

See link about "gifting" email accounts.

How do I create and activate a new BT Email address? | BT Help

Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, this change had completely passed me by. When did it come in and should I have received some sort of notification so that I should make this change to my accounts?  It is definitely the right way forward but only if you know about it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Regarding "gifting" your email accounts, this has been the case since 2014.

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I am sorry but this gifting email business is doing my head in.

I have tried to gift my wife her email address.  When I select the option it says I should select a person from my contacts list or create a new one.  However, the option to select from existing contacts is not there.  Then at the bottom of the page it says she will be suggested a new email address. I do not want her to have a new email address, I just want to gift her the existing one.

None of this makes sense.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The whole system is barking mad and not at all intuitive.

You can just tick the box to give it to somebody without an email address. When you have done that, the link to accept the address will be shown at the bottom of your list of addresses. How they are supposed to receive the link without having entered an address I don't know!!! You (or your wife) can then click on this link and accept the address by either associating it with her existing BTID if she has already created one, or create a new BTID.

gift1.jpg

gift2.jpg

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, barking mad just about sums this up.

0 Ratings