cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: URGENT Please Help - email account hacked and personal details changed

Sorry there is nothing else I can suggest you do other than either try the number again and wait in the queue or try the numbers you were using earlier.

0 Ratings
MissVictoria
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

This is ridiculous, I have now spoken to people at

0808 100 6778

0808 100 4332

0800 321 999

0800 028 5085

0800 6335335

And not one person at any of those can help. They keep asking for my mothers maiden name which has been changed so the name I give them isn't the one they have. What is the most annoying is speaking to people in India who can't speak proper English and don't care about helping you.

I ended up calling 0808 100 4332 and option 5. This eventually got me through to a nice chap in the West Midlands who confirmed my account was hacked at 01.34 and my password, date of birth and security questions were changed. He then just requested some info on my recently sent/received emails and then reset my security questions, DOB & password.

I WILL be leaving BT now as I can't go through this ever again and it's absolutely ridiculous that it has taken 6 hours and wayyy too many stupid people within BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

You should have your email accessed by an email client such as Windows Mail or Thunderbird. That way all your emails will be stored on your computer as well as on the cloud if you set it to leave the email on the servers.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 14 of 24

I agree.  Two golden rules are to back up your email (eg by Thunderbird or ...), and to make sure your main email provider is independent from any ISP (for when you want to move ISP).

Unfortunately, the original poster had not done that ~ but she is very far from alone in that.  

It does look as if BT (any Yahoo) handled it badly, but it is a difficult situation if the account really is hacked enough to change the security questions.  I guess the email provider should keep backup security answers for a time to help prove that a caller really is who they claim to be.  And it does seem from many recent posts that BT/Yahoo has been particularly prone to hacking.

0 Ratings
MissVictoria
Contributor
Message 15 of 24

Thanks for the advice re Thunderbird, I'll do that. BT isn't my ISP. I left BT years ago, I just use the BT email address as I've had that email for 16 years. I've now changed anything financial to my work email.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Because your email account has been hacked follow this guide and make sure you check things like the email forwarding has not been tampered with.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/email/yahoo_hacked.html

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc1ODAxMzI1L...

0 Ratings
MissVictoria
Contributor
Message 17 of 24

When I click on your link I get the following:

Sorry - You must be connected to BT Broadband or the BT network to use this website.
This is a private website for the benefit of BT Broadband customers who use the
BT Customer Support Community
website, and is not connected with BT.

If you are visiting this site from a BT Broadband or BT Corporate connection, and are getting this message,
then please contact me via the BT Community forum, and tell me the date and time of your attempt.
Thanks
Keith Beddoe

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Sorry forgot you were not a BT customer so the first link won't work for you. the second link contains more or less the same info. The main one as far as I am concerned is to check the forwarding email section in your mail options and I don't keep any contacts on my BTYahoo account, they are all stored on my email client on my computer. They can then be backed up and safely stored.

EDIT: This is the BT Link about hacked accounts

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc1ODAxMzI1L...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 24

you need to be a bt broadband customer to access Keith's webpage

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 24

This is the link to access recent login activity http://api.login.yahoo.com/login/history

0 Ratings