Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Algol
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

USELESS Advert choice buttons in BT Yahoo email

Go to solution

Has anyone else experienced how useless the Advert choice buttons are in the Yahoo email? I have been getting, with increasing frequency, airbrushed images of celebrities (most recent is Martin Lewis), mocked up to look as if they have been beaten up - I assumke this is to elicit some false sympathy and tempt people to click on this. Actually, I find this both distracting and offensive BUT, if I click on the Ad choice button to indicate this, instead of these type of adverts being removed, they appear with greater frequency! I have complained to both BT and the Advertising Standards Agency in the past but they appear to be unable (or unwilling) to do anything about this. Anyone else having a similar experience? I thought the software for 'targetting' adverts was supposed to be 'intelligent' - BT's looks to be exceptionally dumb!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: USELESS Advert choice buttons in BT Yahoo email

Go to solution

I never see adverts when checking email, but there again I would never use a web browser for email.

If you must use a web browser for email rather than the right tool for the job (a mail client) then either install an ad-blocker in your browser or use the Classic View in BTYahoo webmail.   Settings > More settings > switch to classic mail

Algol
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that but adverts are still there in the right hand pane. I must have clicked on the 'ad choices' button for the offending adverts over 100 times in the space of 1 hour this morning - you can imagine why the failure of the monitoring software to take 'any' notice of me is quite annoying.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

As @licquorice  has said, why are you using a web browser, when an email client will allow you to deal with mail, without any adverts?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Algol
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

That's a good question. Mostly adverts are something that I can ignore, it's just that the ones I've mentioned, being rather graphic, are pretty much 'in your face', and I really think BT/Yahoo 'should' do something about them - after all, this is a pretty wide platform and must have plenty of younger users.

However, you are both probably correct and I should get a client. Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Favourite amongst the free ones is Thunderbird although I personally find it a bit clunky.

You could have a look at Claws Mail or there is always the built in mail app with W10.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

If you want to try Thunderbird, then this page should help.

Using the Thunderbird e-mail client - IMAP connection - allows folder synchronization between devices

0 Ratings
Algol
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks, both, for these suggestions - it looks like this will solve the issue of annoyance for me, although I do hope that someone at BT/Yahoo does look at this posting and realise that they 'do' have a responsibility about the content of some of the adverts that appear on their platform.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@Algolwrote:
Thanks, both, for these suggestions - it looks like this will solve the issue of annoyance for me, although I do hope that someone at BT/Yahoo does look at this posting and realise that they 'do' have a responsibility about the content of some of the adverts that appear on their platform.

The problem with those adverts is that they are probably illegal. Martin Lewis was taking Facebook to court for them to ban the effecively same adverts on Facebook using his picture and name in order to con people into getting Bitcoins, or showing fake information.

Clearly Yahoo are using an ad agency that pumps these adverts to various Yahoo platforms, but either don't care or don't do due diligance in this regard. The fact that many of these fake adverts pretend to look like BBC pages or other similar organisations to me indicate that the scammers doing it have probably done so using stolen pictures, stolen text and probably dodgy means in order to pay for the adverts.

Chances are the vast majority of people only use webmail - hence can see these, and other, dodgy adverts.

0 Ratings
Algol
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hello Andy, I also think they are illegal (or at least they should be), but when I contacted the Advertising Standards Agency about this (about a year ago) they said they didn't have enough informationto proceed (even though I sent screen shots of the ads and the 1st page of the site). It makes you wonder just what 'they' consider is offensive enough to do anything about this.

I have attempted to pass on this infomation of mis-use ofimage to Martin Lewis directly, via his website - I do hope that he has some luck in getting this sort of fake imaging stopped.

For my part, I will now move to using an email client (as has been suggested), which will solve the issue for me but, sadly, it does not solve the general problem.

0 Ratings