cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Unable to access BTMail on apple devices

Hi all, 

ok so I'm aware that BTMail periodically has an issue with connections on Apple devices but this time I'm at a complete loss as to how to resolve this.

Logged into BT Mail online

Changed the email password

logged into email online with the new password aok (then logged out)

delete existing mail account on ios device

attempt to create a new email account on ios (phone or mac, doesnt seem to matter) 

using IMAP with documented settings

fails to connect saying credentials are incorrect

go back to online login and this now says incorrect credentials and I have to reset again to get access

this is driving me insane

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to access BTMail on apple devices

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for a BT Premium email account?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

No longer a BT broadband customer but have had and used the email for years, I've had access from my devices working aok, every now and again I've had to change the password and remove and re-add the account on relevant apple devices (its a pain but but worked around the sudden lack of connectivity by doing so), but just recently this access does not seem possible and I cannot find a reason why or resolution to it. 

I'm confused that it was working aok but now not

I'm more confused that a password reset works fine up unitl I try and then access the mail account from an apple device and the password (that is new and working aok) is somehow invalidated

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If you are no longer a BT Broadband customer or paying for your BTMail it will have been downgraded to BTMail Basic and that can not be used with email apps or email clients.

See link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

When would that have happened? the clients have been working for years. what I dont understand is how trying to access my mail through an app can invalidate my online login credentials?
that does not seem like the behaviour any account type should exhibit
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The BTMail Basic has been in force for a number of years now. Some people have found that their email account still worked for a while but if they did as you have done be deleting the account or app or by trying to set it up in a new device it triggered the BT Policy.

When you tried to access it through setting up the app this may be seen as a hacker trying to access your account and as such the account gets locked until you carry out a password change.

0 Ratings