Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Unable to access email account.

Go to solution

I have a BTinternet email account and unable to access. The account is associated with a closed Broadband Account. My ex wife was the main account holder. The email stopped conecting to the server at the weekend and a pssword change fixed the issue. On Monday, the email account stopped connecting to the server again. I tried logging in to webmail but my new password did not work. Tried entering reset questions using both my owna nd then my ex wife details. No luck. I have spoken to BT who says i either remember my password or contact ex wife which is a none starter. My fear is my ex-wife has taken control of the email account? is there a solution. I have had the email account for about 12 years and with thousands of emails that i cant now access. HELP. I even offered to pay for the premium email service but I need to be ble to access the accout to do this.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to access email account.

Go to solution

If your email address isn't associated with an active broadband account or premium mail account, it has probably been deleted.

I will ask if one of the mods can investigate, but it may not be possible to re-instate if deleted. You will certainly need to make it a premium mail account at £7.50/mth if it not associated with a BT broadband account if it can be resurrected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

As has been pointed out, if you are no longer a BT Broadband acount holder it is more than likely that the account has been deleted.

If your email account was a BTMail email account and if it has been deleted there is no way to recover it.

If it was a BTYahoo email account you could try following this link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54829/~/bt-yahoo-mail---i%E2%80%99ve-lost-or-deleted...

If the email account was a sub-account of your ex-wife's primary email account, when you reset the password and you are asked security questions it is the primary account security answers that are needed not the sub-account answers.

In the off chance that the email account was still active, if you changed the password your wife would be unable to access it unless she new the new password but if she still had access to the primary email account she could delete it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your response. Its reasuring that ex cant access my mail. I am very concerned now that if the broadband account has been closed (and that is very possible given she recently sold the apartment we live in) then I only have 7 days to request recovery of mail. As far as I am aware, this was a Yahoo / BT account. My ex was the BT Broadband account holder. I followed the link you gave me to recover email but it takes me to the same BT login page? As my password that I reset last weekend is not working, I cant make the recovery request. I have tried entering Ex's security post code, DOB, and mothers maidenname info but that does not allow a password reset. How else can i make a request to recover my mail? any help would be fantastic

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @james150,

What @gg30340 and @licquorice have said is correct. If you email address isn't associated to a Broadband service than its likely that its been deleted. If the email address was a sub account of another BT account holder than its possible that they have deleted that email address.

I can take a look at this for you to see if we can better understand what has happened to that email.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings