cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nontechlady
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Unable to connect to BT mail from android following factory reset.

Go to solution
#I have also posted this on bt mobile forum, sorry if duplicating#   Cannot connect to BT mail server from Android following factory reset

Hello,

In a moment of madness earlier this evening, I did a factory reset on my MotorolaG 4G.  Following this, everything so far seems fine but I cannot set up my BT email account which was previously working fine.  I have trawled Google for solutions, reset my bt email password on bt.com and then re-tried to connect on my phone but no luck.  As far as I can tell, all my settings are as per the BT website advice.  Whatever I try, I end up with the error "Couldn't Finish Couldn't open connection to server".  It makes no difference whether I use manual or auto set up.  

The incoming settings are as follows:

Username - my xxxx@btinternet.com email

Password - my (newly updated email password which works fine on the bt.com email)

Server - mail.btinternet.com

Port - 993

Security Type - SSL/TLS

IMAP path prefix - optional

I have tried both of the pre installed apps on the phone, the one with the yellow envelope and the white envelope with red trim.  Previously I have always used the yellow one, no problems.

When I tap next  in the add account screen I just get the error message.

Any help very gratefully received.  I am sorry if this is a repeat of another thread but I have trawled several bt forum threads but no joy so far.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to connect to BT mail from android following factory reset.

Go to solution

What email system are you on. Is it BTYahoo or BTMail?  Ifyou are not sure, log onto your account via webmail and if the BT logo has Yahoo it means you are on BTYahoo.

If you are on BTYahoo you should try replacing the server settings with Yahoo's IMAP settings

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes
0 Ratings
Nontechlady
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am on BT Yahoo mail so I have changed the incoming settings as per your reply which got me through that stage of the process which I hadn't been able to do previously.  However, entering the yahoo settings for the outgoing settings still results in the unable to connect to server message.  My specific outgoing settings at the moment are:

STMP Server - stmp.mail.yahoo.com

Port - 465

Security Type - SSL/TLS (requires sign in)

Username/Authentication as per my bt mail account

I am not sure if the security type makes any difference but I have been avoiding STARTTLS which is one of the options as this is not recommended by bt.

Any further ideas please?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Nontechlady
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hello Again,

It seems to have worked more or less without any input from me using the gmail app (white envelope with red trim) but still no joy with the other yellow app.  I guess this suggests that it is the app and not the connection/account?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Try downloading the Aquamail App from the Play store and set that up with the Yahoo settings. There is a free version and a paid for version. Try the free version and see how you get on.

0 Ratings
Nontechlady
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Great, thanks again for your help.  The Gmail app seems pretty much identical to the yellow one I was using so will stick with that for now.  

No more factory resets for me 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I have struggled with this for several days. I could not get my new android phone (Samsung) to connect to the BT mail server at mail.btinternet.com nor the Yahoo one. BT email works perfectly on my PC (Outlook) and ipad (default mail app).

I tried the default android mail app, then Outlook for android then Aquamail. None worked.

I discovered the solution is to change your email password in the BT mail settings on webmail then go back and set up your android again and it works.

After an hour on BT chat, I finally found someone who admitted BT are aware of this issue. The guy I spoke to yesterday told me it was my phone at fault, so not all BT staff are aware of this issue. 

0 Ratings
Hantshic
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I know this is months and months later...but as a 'dumbo' ......I suddently twigged that if I changed my password on my btinernet email, this would screw up syncing to my android samsung phone....finally found out and then managed to reset the syncing.....took hours, and hours and hours!  If you change your email password on your PC you have to reset everything on your phone! Hah!

L.

0 Ratings