I have notice the same issue as well here.
I had a long converstaion with the help desk in India and they initially weren't aware of the issue but after forcing them to contact 2nd level email support they were made aware of the issue.
I have done some diagnostics here and it looks like the issue relates to IMAP and incoming to the client (phone, tablet, MAC or PC). I have been able to send out messages to people but not see any replies in the client (as it errors) other than on web-mail.
You would think that a company like BT would be able to fix this issue quickly as I am sure it relates to some sort of update that they have carried out but the 2nd line person said it could be 4 / 8 hours from 16:34 to get it fixed and he warned me that it might take longer.
Yet again BT screws up it's customers.
You would think that given the number of people affected by this you wouldn't have to "forcing them to contact 2nd level"... why is it so hard to get them to pick issues up... and why can't they tell us what's going on?? Seems pretty basic - even for a no-frills consumer service....
Interruptions for gas, electricity and water are heavily regulated with a lot more pressure on the companies to restore services or sort out problems. I just don't see the same thing for phones or tinternet.
Same problem here today. I'm really annoyed with BT at the moment. I've also got an issue where someone who sends me regular emails keeps getting the bounce back 421 too many messages report, which means that I don't get their messages for up to 24 hours after they have sent them.
I have been a BT broadband customer for YEARS now, and while it is more expensive than many providers, I have stuck with it as it has been relatively trouble free. Now, when I have a problem I realise that they are utterly unresponsive. I had an online 'chat' with an advisor about the problem with the bounceback emails and realised that they were just using a script and actually did not have a clue how to resolve the problem. Reading the messages on this forum does not fill me with confidence that either of my problems are going to be resolved soon...
seems to be fixed for me this morning.... both phone and PC
Seems to have been fixed (or corrected itself)
I can now get e-mails through both my iPad and Windows Mail.