cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dayladave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Unable to email photos

I wanted to email a photo to BBC South Today. It keeps getting returned, Error 552 -  exceeds message size. The first photo I sent was 9.32MB . I thought this would be ok as up to 25 MB is allowed?  I then resized it on photoshop to  5.52 MB, but this too was returned. I have used BT Yahoo, and also AOL but the same thing happens. I have trawled the internet to work out what i'm doing wrong. It is SO frustrating.. can anyone help?

Thank you!

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Unable to email photos

Hi,

I thought a 552 was the recipients end rejection (exceeds size, spam or virus) 

And how do I know that?  Well my accountant friend put a limit on his server and has never worked out how to take it off and he won't let anyone else near his server either 'cos he's sooo stubborn.

I might be wrong about your 552 it might be something else but that was my 552's which I got for ages until I gave up sending my friend anything apart from a few lines of text.

Hilary

0 Ratings
dayladave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

I was trying to send a weather picture to BBC South Today...they are showing lots of recent pics on their programme so it surely can't be a problem their end? Also, I managed to email text to them, but as soon as i attached a photo it got returned. When I sent it by BT Yahoo it came back 550 Invalid recipient, when I sent it via AOL it came back 552 exceeds max message size. So annoying!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

hi DaylaDave 

You could maybe try resizing the image to 50% just in case the BBC's max file attachment size is say 5megs

At least that way you could figure out if it's them or you.

Hilary

edited by me right away - try setting up a google mail account then you can link it with your phone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 21

@dayladave wrote:

I wanted to email a photo to BBC South Today. It keeps getting returned, Error 552 -  exceeds message size. The first photo I sent was 9.32MB . I thought this would be ok as up to 25 MB is allowed?  I then resized it on photoshop to  5.52 MB, but this too was returned. I have used BT Yahoo, and also AOL but the same thing happens. I have trawled the internet to work out what i'm doing wrong. It is SO frustrating.. can anyone help?

Thank you!

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

As indicated, the problem is possibly due to the limit set at the distant end. It might say somewhere on their website the filesize limit.

Depending on the program you are using, the OS and the filetype, you may be able to load into a graphics package and resave at a lower jpg value.

9.32MB is a very large size for a picture, my 14Mp camera takes jpg photos up to around 6MB. I can use a 90% jpg compression as well as a bit of sharpening etc, and it reduces to around 4.5MB. With the same settings but reduce the picture to 50% height x width, the size is then 1.6MB.

(all done using Faststone Image Viewer).

What is the output setting on photoshop for jpg compression for saving (assuming you're using jpg) ? Even a few % wont really interfere with the viewing quality. I tried 70% and the difference is neglible, and for a full size picture the filesize was less than ½ before.

0 Ratings
dayladave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Thank you for replying - I am so grateful for your help. I did what you suggested Andy - I managed to reduce it to 1.92MB so size should not have been an issue. Once again it bounced back - 193.109.254.67 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Invalid recipient < south.today@bbc.co.uk> (#5.1.1)
Giving up on 193.109.254.67.

...I feel like giving up too! The email IS valid because text emails don't bounce back, just my photo attachments! Also, lots of other people are sending photos in and getting them shown each day...its just me!

Anything else you can think of?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 21

@dayladave wrote:

Thank you for replying - I am so grateful for your help. I did what you suggested Andy - I managed to reduce it to 1.92MB so size should not have been an issue. Once again it bounced back - 193.109.254.67 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Invalid recipient < xxxxxxxxx> (#5.1.1)
Giving up on 193.109.254.67.

...I feel like giving up too! The email IS valid because text emails don't bounce back, just my photo attachments! Also, lots of other people are sending photos in and getting them shown each day...its just me!

Anything else you can think of?

Many thanks

All I can think of at the moment is the error you've shown includes a space before the email address. Not sure if that's relevant or not, though that sort of thing can cause issues.

0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

i think i can see what it is

remove the (larger than and small than) brackets

you have a space there, you don't need the brackets anyway.

good luck

Hilary

0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 21

oops Sorry Andy I didn't read your post:-)

0 Ratings
dayladave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

This is very strange. Like I said last night Andy, I reduced the size and my email was returned straight away by mailer deamon 'invalid address' .  BUT eight minutes I received acknowledgement from BBC. So despite the email being returned...BBC did recieve it. How confusing is that?! Thank you both for your help, I will try sending some more photos before I mark this 'solved' though!

0 Ratings