Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jen1982
Message 1 of 2

Unable to get email on iPhone or iPad

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

This evening I logged on to my iPad to view my emails and couldn’t remember my password so I changed it. I then when into my phone to update the password but my account where I usually enter the password was greyed out and when I tried to go into it I was sent to a BT homepage advising me to go back to setting up my email accounts and choose ‘other’ instead of ‘yahoo’ which is how I originally set up my account. When I do this and enter the details, I am constantly getting the message that my password is incorrect - even though I know it isn’t and have even changed it again just in case. I’ve tried everything but I can’t get my emails back on my iPad or iPhone.

Can anyone help? Please?! This has been going on for 3 hours now and it’s driving me mad!

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Unable to get email on iPhone or iPad

One other thing to check , when you change your BT password on an iPhone it may only change for Incoming mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BTinternet account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there, but the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

If you tap on the outgoing mail server it still shows that it is 'on'.  You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it. 

If that does not help and you are able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email account or with your password, 

Because you have changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your phone or at the least stop it from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Change your webmail email password yet again.

Wait at least 30 minutes before starting your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device working before moving onto the next device if you have others.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

If that still does not help I would delete the email account from your phone and after restarting the phone set the email account up ensuring that you are using the correct settings via the link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.