cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Unable to receive incoming mail

For the past 24 hours, where I have placed orders with Tesco and Amazon, I have not received their order confirmation emails.

I am using a windows 10 laptop.  Where I am computer literate,  andhave made all the necessary checks, I cannot find a problem with my computer or its operating system.

I have even booted up a spare Win 10 laptop, where this presents the same problem.

When I re-visit the Tesco and Amazon websites, there is confirmation that my orders are active.

Strangely though, if I send an email to myself using a basic mobile phone using Tesco O2, my laptop downloads the incoming email!?.

Any suggestions please - surely the problem is with BT somewhere.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to receive incoming mail

How are you accessing your email, is it via a web browser? If it is have you checked to see if the emails are in your spam folder?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Yes, I have checked everything possible - there is nothing in my spam folder
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

It looks like BT's email spam filters are being over zealous and are taking the emails out of the system before they get to your account.

As far as I am aware you will not be able to do anything to stop that from happening other than if you are on the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo and assuming you know the email address that the conformations are sent from, you can add the email address to the "safe sender" list found in the email settings. Doing that will stop the spam filter taking them out.

Obviously you shouldn't need to do this but you could set up a gmail account and use that when ordering. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi - Firstly, thank you very much for attempting to assist me.

With the current lockdown in place , my age and expecting an e-mail tomorrow from my Doctor, I took it upon myself to speak with BT this afternoon in an attempt to ascertain what could be the problem.

After explaining that I had been unable to receive confirmation e-mails from Tesco, Amazon and Paypal, it left them guessing.  One suggestion was that I send an email to a relative, see if it was received, and ask for a reply acknowleding its receipt did work - I did receive back a reply.

Another suggestion was to change my password - this didn't work.

A further shot in the dark was to change my browser.

Where I use Firefox - I disabled Microsoft Edge some months ago - I reluctantly loaded I.E. 11.

Not liking what I saw, I unloaded it and reverted to Firefox.

Soon after, I logged on to Tesco's webpage, amended my pending order, and lo and behold, their e-mail confirmation came down - the first "multi-national" incoming e-mail received in (2) days.

I am now scratching my head.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Welcome to the joys of the BT email systems that behave like no other email systems known to man and defy any logic.

0 Ratings