cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stewalsop
Message 1 of 6

Unable to send emails

Go to solution

I have just moved to BT infinity and I am having problems sending emails.

I have 2 email accounts, one with Talktalk and one with Plusnet. I can receive on both accounts but can't send on either.

They are both POP3 accounts and I am using Outlook Express. Are there any changes I need to make to these account settings?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to send emails

Go to solution

If you still have accounts on the Talktalk and Plusnet SMTP servers, no change is required. However, I suspect that as you have just moved your account has been deleted with whichever SMTP server you were using. To send via BT's SMTP server you will need to authenticate with a xxxx@btinternet.com email address.

Set Outgoing server to mail.btinternet.com, port 465 SSL, server requires authentication ticked. Username full xxx@btinternet.com, password bt email password

0 Ratings
stewalsop
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I was using talktalk smtp server for Talktalk account and Plusnet server for Plusnet account.

I have just created a BT email account which is now up and running but I would still like to use my 2 old accounts.

Do I need to change the smtp servers to the BT server in these 2 old accounts?

P.S

I can still receive emails on these accounts so they are still active.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Which have you just moved from? It seems odd that both have stopped working since you moved, I could understand the SMTP server of the ISP you have just moved from not working but not the other if that was working when it wasn't your ISP. In any case, you can just use your btinternet mail to authenticate on the BT SMTP server for both accounts, leave the POP3 servers for incoming as they are. Screenshot is from Outlook 2010 but I think there is something similar in OE.

diffoutgoing.jpg

0 Ratings
stewalsop
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi licquorice

I've set both accounts to use BT smtp server and they're both working now.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Glad you got it working. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings