Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mikepencoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Unable to send from non BT email addresses

Go to solution

I am new to BT broadband . I have 2 non BT email accounts that I wish to continue using.  I can receive OK from their  server, but when I try to send I keep getting this error message :-

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '-----. Subject 'TEST  SIXTEEN', Account: 'POP.-----.net', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From address not verified - see http://www.btyahoo.com/verify', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

I have carried out the procedure below, including Verifying

Set up your non-BT Yahoo! email account in Outlook Express as follows:
From the 'Tools' menu in Outlook Express, choose 'Accounts' and select the 'Mail' tab

Double-click on the non-BT Yahoo! account you wish to configure

Select the 'Servers' tab. Incoming mail (POP3) should show your non-BT email server, whereas Outgoing mail (SMTP) will say "mail.btinternet.com". The username and password for your non-BT account will be shown. Be sure to leave the 'Log on using Secure Password Authentication' check-box un-ticked.

Place a tick in the "My server requires authentication" check-box, then click on the Settings button next to it.

Select the 'Log on using' option and enter your BT Yahoo! Mail account username and password. Tick the 'Remember password' option. Click OK, and OK again, followed by Close.

IMPORTANT: You won't be able to send mail until your non-BT Yahoo! email account has been verified. Please follow the instructions at www.btyahoo.com/verify to verify your account.

Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong please

Thanks , Mike

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unable to send from non BT email addresses

Go to solution

@mikepencoed wrote:

I am new to BT broadband . I have 2 non BT email accounts that I wish to continue using.  I can receive OK from the tesco server, but when I try to send I keep getting this error message :-

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[]'. Subject 'TEST TESCO SIXTEEN', Account: 'POP.tesco.net', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From address not verified - see http://www.btyahoo.com/verify', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

I have carried out the procedure below, including Verifying

Set up your non-BT Yahoo! email account in Outlook Express as follows:
From the 'Tools' menu in Outlook Express, choose 'Accounts' and select the 'Mail' tab

Double-click on the non-BT Yahoo! account you wish to configure

Select the 'Servers' tab. Incoming mail (POP3) should show your non-BT email server, whereas Outgoing mail (SMTP) will say "mail.btinternet.com". The username and password for your non-BT account will be shown. Be sure to leave the 'Log on using Secure Password Authentication' check-box un-ticked.

Place a tick in the "My server requires authentication" check-box, then click on the Settings button next to it.

Select the 'Log on using' option and enter your BT Yahoo! Mail account username and password. Tick the 'Remember password' option. Click OK, and OK again, followed by Close.

IMPORTANT: You won't be able to send mail until your non-BT Yahoo! email account has been verified. Please follow the instructions at www.btyahoo.com/verify to verify your account.

Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong please

Thanks , Mike

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forums.

Can you pop back into your post and remove the tesco email address please.

Have a look at my shortcuts (link below) option 0e which might contain some more info with regard the verification process.

0 Ratings
mikepencoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Sorry about that but how do I remove it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@mikepencoed wrote:
Sorry about that but how do I remove it

Click on the Options against your initial post and there should be an Edit type of menu option.

0 Ratings
mikepencoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
I have worked through your shortcut and added my non BT email address and got the conformation but still get the same error message in OE
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@mikepencoed wrote:
I have worked through your shortcut and added my non BT email address and got the conformation but still get the same error message in OE

Hi again.

Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions and point out the areas to check so that we can get to the bottom of the problem.

You got the confirmation email (in your non bt account), clicked on the link and had the verification validated ?

In OE on tools/accounts/pick your non bt account/Properties - in the General tab you should have the E-mail address as your non BT account email. In the Servers tab the Incoming mail (POP3) should be that of tesco, and the Outgoing mail (SMTP) should be mail.btinternet.com

Under Incoming Mail server, the Account name should be your non BT email address and password

Outgoing Mail Server section, make sure that the "My server requires authentication" is ticked, and then press the Settings button

Make sure that Logon using is ticked, and that your BTinternet email address and associated password are entered in Acconut name and password respectively.

0 Ratings
mikepencoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for your continuing efforts on my behalf

I have checked the details in your latest post and am confident they are correct

I have verified the account again and tried sending form tesco to bt and still get the error message below

I also include the verification message from Yahoo

Thanks Michael! Your email address has now been verified.

You have successfully added an email address to your Yahoo! account.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was ------@tesco.net'. Subject TO BT FIVEE', Account: 'pop.tesco.net (1)', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From address not verified - see http://www.btyahoo.com/verify', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@mikepencoed wrote:

Thanks for your continuing efforts on my behalf

I have checked the details in your latest post and am confident they are correct

I have verified the account again and tried sending form tesco to bt and still get the error message below

I also include the verification message from Yahoo

Thanks Michael! Your email address has now been verified.

You have successfully added an email address to your Yahoo! account.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was ------@tesco.net'. Subject TO BT FIVEE', Account: 'pop.tesco.net (1)', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From address not verified - see http://www.btyahoo.com/verify', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Ok Mike, something else to check.

Login to BTinternet webmail (http://mail.yahoo.com - entering your full BTinternet email address as the Yahoo! ID). When you atttempt to send a new email, there should be a drop down arrow next to the From name and give you the choice of your BTinternet address and Tesco one.

If that is there, then there is a setting wrong in your OE account. I may need to get you to email me screen shots of your account settings rather than post them here.

0 Ratings
mikepencoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks again

In the FROM box I have
    myname ----@btinternet.com
    myname-----@btopenworld/com
    myname-----@tesco.net   (this is  different to the one mentioned in my original post. I have 2 tesco addresses both have the same problem

I can send from all of them.  The bt ones go to OE, the tesco goes to my Yahoo inbox

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@mikepencoed wrote:

Thanks again

In the FROM box I have
    myname-----@btopenworld/com
    myname-----@tesco.net   (this is  different to the one mentioned in my original post. I have 2 tesco addresses both have the same problem

I can send from all of them.  The bt ones go to OE, the tesco goes to my Yahoo inbox

Thanks for the info.

As you said that the last tesco email address is different to the original post, then it hasn't been verified if it doesn't exist in the list - and will therefore get the error you're seeing.

As the other tesco email address has been verified, then this should work in OE - as long as this email address is in the "From" address and on the Server settings tab in the tools/accounts area.