Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Unable to set up BT email addresses as accounts in Apple Mail

Go to solution

I have just bought a new Apple iPad Pro but am unable to set up any of my BT email addresses as accounts in its "Mail" program.

Whenever I try to set up an account a message appears stating:

Cannot get mail.

The username or password for "mail.btinternet.com" is incorrect.

This occurs whichever of my BT email addresses I try to add as an account in "Mail" even though I am entering the correct BT username and password on every occasion.

I am also encountering the same problem when trying to add the BT addresses as accounts in "Mail" on my Apple 2009 Mac pro desktop computer, on which I use SSDs with 3 different Mac OSs - Snow Leopard (10.6), Mountain Lion (10.8) and El Capitan (10.11).

After I migrated to BT from Plusnet on 5th September 2017 I set up new BT email addresses on the following day, and I was able to add them all as accounts in "Mail" on an SSD with Mountain Lion as its OS. The only problem I have encountered with the BT email addresses using that drive is that recently on a few occasions some of those accounts are showing the outgoing BT mail server as being offline whereas the incoming BT mail server is still online. 

Now, 3 months later, I have been trying to add the new BT email addresses to other SSDs but am unable to do so whichever OS is installed on the drive - whether it is Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion or El Capitan. The last of these, El Capitan, is the latest OS which can be used on my 2009 Mac Pro desktop computer.

Anyway, whichever OS I use the result is still the same. When I correctly enter any of my BT email addresses a message appears stating:

YAHOO!

UK & IRELAND

Sorry, we don't recognise this email address.

When I try an alternative route using "Add a Mail account" in "Mail Preferences", although I enter a correct BT email address and password, after several minutes this message appears:

Unable to verify account name or password.

During the 4 years (2009 - 2013) that I previously used BT as my ISP, and in the following 4 years (2013 -2017) using Plusnet, I never had any problems adding email addresses as accounts in "Mail" on my Mac Pro whether using Leopard, Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.

Therefore, I find it difficult to comprehend why there should be problems now.

The iPad Pro is my first iOS device, and I have never used a smartphone, but I had anticipated that it would have been a straightforward process to add the BT email addresses to its "Mail" program. For some reason it is the opposite!

I intend to buy an iPhone next year but, as that would use the same iOS as my iPad Pro, obviously I would encounter the same problem.

From what I have read and heard elsewhere this problem with Apple "Mail" seems to be peculiar to BT (Yahoo?) servers, and that there does not appear to be any issues of this type with other UK ISPs.

It that should be the case, I most definitely will be changing to a new ISP when my existing BT contract expires on 4th September 2018, because being able to use Apple "Mail" on my iPad Pro and my forthcoming iPhone is absolutely essential to me.

I will be using my iPad Pro in place of my desktop computer for web browsing on many occasions, but my main reason for buying it is that I intend to use it to photograph and advertise lots of surplus items, which I have accrued in my lifetime, for sale on Preloved, Gumtree, Facebook and other websites. My forthcoming purchase of an iPhone will be complementary for that purpose.

In fact I had already added specific email addresses for Preloved, Gumtree and Facebook to my BT account, but now I cannot use them on my iPad Pro - or even on my desktop computer!

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Unable to set up BT email addresses as accounts in Apple Mail

Go to solution

A few things.

You don't need to change ISP in order to change email address, just use Gmail!

What settings are you using?

Are you setting the account up manually or letting the wizard do it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Are you following these Settings for outgoing and incoming BT email servers?

I am puzzled by:

@MYH wrote:

YAHOO!

UK & IRELAND

Sorry, we don't recognise this email address.

Why does "Yahoo UK & Ireland" appear in an error msg from an email client about email settings?

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice,

Thanks for your reply but having used Gmail on a Toshiba Chromebook 2, which I bought in early February this year as a stopgap, to take on holiday abroad, until I went ahead with my intended purchase of an iPad Pro later in the year, I much prefer Apple's Mail program which has given me sterling service for 8 years until my migration to BT.

I have always used 5 email addresses with my ISPs (BT/Plusnet/BT again) - one for the ISP, one for online purchases, one for miscellaneous, one for Apple and related products, and the last one for friends and relatives. These have all been problem-free using Apple Mail until recently.

As I mentioned before, I recently added 3 more email addresses to my BT email account - one each for Preloved, Gumtree and Facebook, but I can't add these to Apple Mail either on my new iPad Pro or on my desktop Mac Pro.

Since I opened this thread I have checked my BT email address settings using "Mail Settings Lookup" on the Apple Support website, and they have all been verified as below:

Voila_Capture26 copy.png

The problem appears to be that the BT email addresses are now not being recognised by Yahoo, whatever method I use on either the iPad Pro or my venerable but extremely reliable desktop computer.

What is very strange is that I was able to add the original 5 new BT email addresses as new accounts in Apple Mail on 6th September 2017, but now I can't even add the 3 additional BT addresses using the same SSD and OS (Mountain Lion).

Likewise I can't add any of the 8 addresses as new accounts to Mail on any of my other SSDs, whether Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion or El Capitan is the OS on the particular drive.

One thing I have noticed is that the Account Type is now IMAP whereas previously it was POP, but that made no difference to my ability to add the 5 new BT email addresses as new accounts in Mail on 6th September.

I have now accepted an invitation from Apple to have a free 30-minute online session pursuant to my recent order (apparently this is standard procedure) and so, if this problem has not been resolved before then (the afternoon of Wednesday 13th December), I am hoping that Apple might be able to shed some light upon this matter.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

First of all you appear to be confusing an email service with an email client. Gmail and Btmail are email services that can both be accessed via any client, you can configure Apple's mail program to access Gmail if you wish.

It is your choice whether you use IMAP or POP, the server port for POP3 is 995. The difference between POP3 and IMAP is where the mail is stored. With POP3 it is downloaded to your device and stored there, but with IMAP it is stored on the server. With multiple devices accessing the email address, IMAP is preferable in order to keep all devices in sync.

Try setting the accounts up manually rather than letting Apple mail wizard do it. It may be necessary to deliberately input incorrect information to allow this to happen, i.e when it asks for your email address input xxxx@btinternot.com.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @XRaySpeX,

On the iPad Pro, touching the "Mail" icon in the dock opens a "New Account" window with 4 sub-headings - Name, Email, Password, Description.

Then, despite entering the correct information in the sub-headings, this message appears:

Cannot get mail.

The username or password for "mail.btinternet.com" is incorrect.

The "Yahoo UK & Ireland" message appears when I try an alternative method using my desktop computer, after the normal procedure fails. In fact when using the SSD with El Capitan as the OS it is the only option, because I am unable to access "Mail Preferences" to add an account that way. Presumably, once I have succeeded in adding a new account I would then be able to use the drop-down "Mail" menu to access "Preferences"

Using that SSD, when I click on the "Mail" icon in the dock a window opens which lists several server options - iCloud, Exchange, Google, Yahoo!, Aol.,Outlook.com and Other. After using "Other" has failed I have tried "Yahoo!" because I know BT use its servers, and that is when the "Yahoo UK & Ireland" message appears.

Incidentally, I must correct an earlier error. I was in fact able to add the additional 3 email addresses (Preloved, Gumtree, Facebook) to the SSD which I use most of the time, and which has Mountain Lion as its OS. However, I have not been able to do so on 3 other SSDs - one of which is using the same OS (Mountain Lion), another using Snow Leopard, and the third using El Capitan.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

You need to select 'other' and set it up manually.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice,

I must confess that you are absolutely correct about me being confused between email services and email clients. It is just that I have always looked upon email purely as a convenience, and have never encountered any previous problems adding email addresses  to Apple's Mail program on my desktop computer until now, regardless of which Mac OS is on the SSD.

After I retired I used a large amount of the tax-free cash benefit of my small private pensions to buy what was, at that time, the top of the range Mac Pro desktop computer, a professional quality NEC 30" display, an Epson Perfection V750 Pro scanner, and a Brother mono laser printer. Since then I have added several SSDs to my system, increased its memory from 6GB to 64GB, added a faster graphics card, a canon inkjet printer, several other accessories, and an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 photo printer.

So, as you can see, my system has been used mainly for photo editing and to a lesser degree the printing of lab quality (IMO better than lab quality!) photo prints, and my knowledge of the difference between email services and email clients is non-existent!

As I mentioned before, I invested in an iPad Pro for the purpose of selling surplus items (of which I have accumulated a lot during my lifetime) on various websites, and being able to use my BT email addresses via Apple Mail was an integral part of my plan.

My existing desktop system is over-qualified for that task, lacks mobility, and guzzles up electricity. So an iPad Pro seemed the ideal solution, and my initial impressions are that its purchase was more than justified.

As I have never used a tablet or a smartphone before, however, iOS is a new learning curve for me, and I had not expected to encounter any problems using Mail in conjunction with my BT email addresses. At present I have no idea how to bypass the set-up procedure in iOS 11!

I am not a great lover of Google (too advertising-revenue based) and I don't really want to have to set up 8 new email addresses elsewhere anyway, so I will see what transpires during my online tutorial in a week's time.

Incidentally, I don't use, nor do I intend to use, cloud storage, and until I buy an iPhone I don't need to keep any devices in sync.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

I have to confess I am not a lover of Apple devices and have never owned one, so can't offer step by step advice, they seem to do everything in a non-standard way.

Just to comment on your last paragraph. IMAP is purely a mail system protocol and has nothing to do with syncing devices in general and cloud services. It is useful if you collect email on more than one device as it keeps the emails in step.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice.

"You need to select 'other' and set it up manually."

I have already tried that on several occasions but always get the message "Unable to verify account name or password" when using any Mac OS on my desktop computer, and "Cannot get mail. The username or password for "mail.btinternet.com" is incorrect" when using iOS 11 on the iPad Pro.

0 Ratings