Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: Unable to set up BT email addresses as accounts in Apple Mail

Go to solution

This is from another thread, it might be pertinent.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BT Internet account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there, but the outgoing mail server simply shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

If you tap on the outgoing mail server you have to then tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it. 

Or have a look if this helps http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/email/email-client-setup/mac-mail-mavericks-os

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice,

I have to confess I am not a lover of Apple devices and have never owned one, so can't offer step by step advice, they seem to do everything in a non-standard way.

I am the opposite to you, having bought my first Apple Mac in 1989 when Apple were offering a "WYSIWYG" graphical user interface whilst Microsoft's option was DOS which was grossly inferior.

My purchase was comprised of a Mac IICX 4/80 (4Mb memory + 80Mb HDD), Apple LaserWriter IINTX (300dpi mono), a hand-held scanner, Aldus Pagemaker and Microsoft Word. The whole package cost more or less £10,000 but saved my small business about £3,000 in printing costs each year. I did not have a single problem until the Maxtor HDD "gave up the ghost" in June 2000.

It is on record that Bill Gates wanted to license the Mac OS and, after Apple refused, Microsoft developed Windows instead. It is purely due to the sheer volume of IBM computers in use during those early years, and the fact that Apple would not license its OS to competitors, that Windows achieved its dominant share of the market. Now during the last couple of years IBM has allowed its own employees to choose whether to use a Windows PC or an Apple Mac for work, and thousands have opted for the latter. IBM has made considerable savings despite the higher initial cost of a Mac compared to a PC, because the former's longevity and reliability has resulted in much lower support costs.

On my own part, in the late 1990s one of my wholesale suppliers installed a PC system in my business premises so that we could place orders online instead of their staff telephoning us each afternoon. The experience was so diabolical that I told the supplier to remove the system within less than 3 weeks!

Since then there have been just a few occasions when I have had to use a Windows PC and each experience has only served to confirm why I prefer Apple Macs.

My current Mac Pro desktop computer is over 8 years old now and I have never had a hardware problem. Of the very few software problems I have encountered, most of these were attributable to third parties.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

I am interested to know how this was resolved in the end as I have problems setting up on a new iPad.  Many hours with Apple help and BT help and so far they keep pointing at each other 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @ Mike_German,

It turned out that my problem was because BT had stopped using Yahoo servers and were using their own.

So, when I was trying to add email addresses on my other drives at a later date, Apple Mail was still trying to verify the email address and password  with Yahoo (BT Yahoo) even though I selected "other" as the provider.

I solved the problem by changing all the passwords for my email addresses.

Then, when I tried the process again using Apple Mail and selected "other", my email addresses and passwords were verified and they were added without any problem.

Also, I had no problems installing email addresses on an iPad Pro, which I bought on Black Friday last year, selecting "other" as the provider.

I think the original problem was compounded because Plusnet, my previous ISP until 5th September 2017, also used Yahoo servers and all my email accounts were accessed via POP. via my desktop Mac Pro computer.

As Plusnet did not terminate my POP email addresses until 4th October it seems that might have added to the problem when I set up my new BT email addresses on 6th September, although the problem did not occur until I tried to add them to other drives on my computer at a later date.

All my email addresses are now accessed via IMAP which means I can access them using any device.

So I would advise you to sign in to your BT account and to change the password(s).

Then set up the address(es) using Mail on your iPad, making sure that you enter the new password correctly and that you select "other" which is the last entry in the list of providers.

The BT email address were verified and added automatically as new accounts (IMAP) in Apple Mail without any problem.

Obviously, only select "other" as the provider for BT email addresses or others not shown on the list.

Otherwise select whichever provider on the list is relevant.

This is a basic expanation of why IMAP is better than POP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLXKXMxoz2Q

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Hallo @MYH,

thanks for prompt and full reply.

This new ipad is my wife’s and she already had the i_email reader working properly on her iPhone and old, slow iPad. When did the Yahoo change happen? Would the email account and password have been retained by Yahoo email server? Easy enough to try though. If the password change works (or indeed doesn’t) I will paste back here for future reference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

The Yahoo servers have never been the official servers for any BT email system. The preferred server has always been mail.btinternet.com regardless of who was providing the email facility.  Those of us that are still on the BTyahoo mail, however, the Yahoo servers still work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Just for the record, I shut all ipad and iPhone email readers and on my pc via btwebmail (not yahoo) and changed the password.  I then tried again to set up the new iPad as above.  It failed again after attempted verification.  So that I didn’t have to set up old iPad and iPhone, I changed the password back to the original.

And here is where it gets weird- I came here to post this message: I got to the end of sentence three above and was going to report the new iPad error message, so went to mail again and entered the details.  Unfortunately, or more correctly as it turned out, i mis-typed the mail address but correctly  entered the original password. It failed of course.  I corrected the email address in the three fields, pushed next, and I a line of ticks - I have email on the new iPad :😀

I don’t know if it was the double change in password or the inadvertent mail address mistake that did it.

And I still don’t know if it was iOS or btmail..... but who cares 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

So, thanks for the suggestion to change password

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @Mike_German

I am pleased that you were successful in the end.

With regard to the change of password perhaps you didn't allow enough time for the changeover to the new password to come into effect, because  I seem to recall that I had to wait for a short time before trying to set up a new account using the new password on Apple Mail.

I actually came across an article online (can't remember which website) which covered the topic of problems setting up BT email addresses on Apple devices, and it was following the instructions thereon which resolved my problem. It was there that I read about BT's changeover to their own servers and the resultant problems with Apple Mail.

In fact @licquorice BT was my original ISP from 2009 for 4 years. The server BT used was shown as BT Yahoo on my computer, and my email addresses were POP.

When I changed to Plusnet in 2013 I believe that they were using Yahoo's servers (Plusnet is part of the same group as BT) and my email addresses were still POP.

I had no problem setting up my new BT email addresses on 6th September 2017 and they were IMAP ones. That was on the SSD with the Mac OS which I was using for most of the time.

The problem arose when I tried to add those email addresses to other SSDs (I use 3 different versions of Mac OS on my computer). Apple Mail kept flashing a message that my account could not be verified with Yahoo, even when I selected "other" as my provider.

I am sure that the problem on my desktop computer was an issue between Apple Mail and Yahoo's server (BT Yahoo), BT's own server, plus a conflict between the POP and IMAP email accounts , because I still have emails stored on my system from 2012 (when BT was still my ISP) and from the years thenafter.

Apple Mail on IOS uses the same method to add new accounts and I had no problems adding the BT email addresses with the new passwords to my iPad Pro. However, other than one Gmail address which I was using on a Chromebook and had also added to my iPad Pro, there were no other email addressess, stored POP emails, or history with BT Yahoo servers to cause any conflict.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution
As I said, the official server has always been mail.btinternet.com since day1 of the BT mail system. However, many devices insisted on entering the Yahoo details when using a wizard rather than setting up the account manually. This is what causes many problems. I have had a BT email address since day 1 of the service and have never used anything other than mail.btinternet.com
0 Ratings