Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: Unable to set up BT email addresses as accounts in Apple Mail

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice

When I signed up to BT as my ISP in 2009 all my email addresses ended in "@btinternet.com", but my emails were accessed via BT Yahoo.

BT did not start moving email addresses from BT Yahoo email to its new email service, BT Mail, until Spring 2014:

Voila_Capture39.png

That must have been when BT changed from POP to IMAP ("synchronised email on all your devices"), but at that time my ISP was Plusnet and they must have continued to use Yahoo as all my Plusnet email addresses remained as POP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 24

Go to solution

@MYH The whole point of having an alias of mail.btinternet.com as the mail server address is that it doesn't matter who actually provides the service, it will ALWAYS point to the correct IP address of whoever is providing the service at the time. By using a different mail server, such as directly accessing the Yahoo servers, that name will only work as long as that provider is providing the mail service. BT mail was in-house before Yahoo took over the running of it but it wasn't necessary to change any server details as mail.btinternet.co was just pointed at the new servers when the change took place.

What I am not sure about, is how wizards obtain server details from entering an email address, but that information is usually incorrect when entering a BT email address.

BT still support POP3 as well as IMAP. I and many others still use POP3.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 24

Go to solution

I use a combination of POP and IMAP on a number of devices with a number of BT email accounts. These accounts  were on BTYahoo but are now on BTMail

They were all set up manually and all use the mail.btinternet.com servers.  

I changed to these servers just prior to my mail service being  migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail in 2014 and I have had no problems. I also had no problems with the BTYahoo email service apart from the infamous mass hacks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 24

Go to solution

@MYHwrote:

Hi @licquorice

When I signed up to BT as my ISP in 2009 all my email addresses ended in "@btinternet.com", but my emails were accessed via BT Yahoo.

BT did not start moving email addresses from BT Yahoo email to its new email service, BT Mail, until Spring 2014:

That must have been when BT changed from POP to IMAP ("synchronised email on all your devices"), but at that time my ISP was Plusnet and they must have continued to use Yahoo as all my Plusnet email addresses remained as POP.

It was (and is partly) called BTYahoo because Yahoo took over as mail service supplier. They weren't particularly accessed by BTYahoo, but that was effectively the login at the time.

BTMail started, as you say, in early 2014 - however the migration has been permanently  stopped since September 2014.

BT didn't change from POP to IMAP at any time. Both of these protocols were available long before the initial migration start, and are both available now.

Plusnet are a different beast, notwithstanding that BT effectively own them.

As has been explained, any use of the specific Yahoo servers was a stop gap and recommended by many of us in these forums, and prior to that in the newgroups. That was because the BTinternet mail servers were flakey, despite the IP address pointing at Yahoo server.

Users who migrated to BTMail will not be able to use the Yahoo servers, some have probably had issues due to their settings pre-migration. Whether you were allowed to use the Yahoo servers with Plusnet accounts I don't specifically know, but strictly the BTinternet mail server have always been

mail.btinternet.com

(and as it happens mail.btopenworld.com, when BT introduced their broadband service in early 2000s).

These changes have at times confused many users, and caused problems along the way too. People were changing settings for a past time, some to no avail, and some to try to get the one that works!

0 Ratings