cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sr5
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Unable to switch email accounts

I have 3 email addresses linked to my BT account. Previously I could log in via My BT and it would take me to my main email from which I could select the other email addresses from the "switch account" menu. Now when I log in I am only getting the option to switch to one of my other 2 accounts. I have been to Manage my Accounts and all 3 email accounts are showing as active. The only way I am able to view all 3 accounts is to keep changing favourite and log in again each time. This is frustrating as it means shutting down BT website each time or else it reverts to the previous email viewed unless I remove cookies each time.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Unable to switch email accounts

Have a look at this thread and in particular message 12.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Cannot-access-BT-alias-email-address/td-p/2008715/page/2

0 Ratings
sr5
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for the advice but I'd already seen this and unfortunately doesn't help in my situation as I can't add the other email addresses. It's weird because up until a couple of weeks ago it was working on all my devices and then suddenly disappeared. If I log into one of the emails it gives me 1 other to switch to depending on which email I've marked as favourite but I can no longer access all 3 without switching between favourites. I've tried different browsers and different devices but same problem on all of them.

0 Ratings
chris15
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

This is the same problem which I have encountered and asked about on here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Switching-email-accounts-in-BT-Email/td-p/2013953

I believe that the answer is to do with the BT EMail upgrade:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/We-re-updating-BT-Email/td-p/2005956

not that this gives any answers.

Have your other mailboxes also received the email from BT about "improvements" since the updating started?

0 Ratings
sr5
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for this info Chris. It sounds like I have exactly the same problem as you. My account isn't a BT Yahoo one and none of the advice given by BT seems to work. The only way at the moment I can access all 3 email addresses is to keep going into Manage My Emails and changing the favourite each time. Very time consuming and annoying. As far as I'm aware the email about "improvements" has only come to one of the accounts. I hope you're right and this will eventually be sorted by migrating all the accounts but I'm seriously considering not using BT email any more as this is only one of several problems i have with it. ☹️

0 Ratings
chris15
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I'm sceptical aswell, but we'll have to wait and see.   From the outside, it appears that BT development is not always robustly End User Tested.  And they certainly haven't briefed their customer services chat staff on the issue.  Poor alround. 

I am still waiting for a reply to the complaint lodged after I escalated the chat call to complaint status.

They have been failing to deal with problems encountered with the BTCloud endlessly crashing for almost a year.

On a more positive note: Another work around is to open a separate tab to log in to each of  the each mailbox address separately, to avoid changing the favourite settings in your profile.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

If you both used the right tool for the job, a mail client, instead of faffing around with webmail, you wouldn't have a problem.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@licquorice wrote:

If you both used the right tool for the job, a mail client, instead of faffing around with webmail, you wouldn't have a problem.

... or use the method I suggested in message 12

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Cannot-access-BT-alias-email-address/td-p/2008715/page/2

Having said that, I have asked the moderators to clarify what may be causing the "problem" and if the drop down box is or is not going to be available in the "new" BTMail system.

chris15
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

thank you, licquorice, for your suggested solution!

0 Ratings
chris15
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Thank you, gg30340, for contacting the moderators.

In terms of your post in 2016:

a) the link is to a post by the moderator which is incorrect, as pointed out earlier.  The ability to switch accounts by that method was available up to a week or so ago.  It was therefore clearly incorrect to state in 2016 that it was no longer available.

b) the work around of: go to "Mail" > "Accounts" and click on "add " didn't seem to work either, although this may be due a change in format.  There is no Accounts or Add under Mail.  I think this was because I was going from the user name to Account Info.

This is now under Settings.  I tried and failed to add the account the other day, but that must have been my fault, as it seems to have worked perfectly tonight!  Problem solved.

Thank You!

0 Ratings