cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavyC
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Unable to use email addresses

I started with infinity yesterday and created 3 email addresses last night, well after midnight.

I cannot get access to any of these email addresses on a pc I get 

Selected account BT Mail Account is unavailable

On ipad safari I get

Application is having trouble connecting to server.

Outllook express states that the server dropped out.

My BT Email manager is showing the email accounts as being available.

I spoke with 3 or 4 people on chat today all but one were useless, they asked me to change passwords which I have done numerous times with no difference wasted over 4 hours with no resolution.

The last was more helpful but still not resolved - he thinks it will sort itself out tonight and he will ring back tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated - starting to regret moving to BT

Thanks

DC

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to use email addresses

When you log onto your MyBT and go to Manage Emails where you see the accounts that you have set up are you able to access them from there?

See link about different types of email accounts and setting them up

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/~/how-do-i-create-a-new-email-address-%28bt-ma...

When setting the email accounts up on email clients such as Outlook Express you should set the accounts up manually and not via the set up wizard.

The correct settings are as per this link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

@DavyC wrote:

Any help would be appreciated - starting to regret moving to BT

Thanks

DC

You don't have to use BT email just because you have BT Broadband. In fact I would definitely recommend new users not to use the flaky BT email service.

0 Ratings
DavyC
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Sorry tried the manual set up - same result.

I think they are set up correctly as the chat team can see the email addresses.

I have tried, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Safari on ipad.

The pc versions show an error page very briefly on starting 

The Safari shows an error message on starting with a code 50001 - but it is very brief.

I have changed ISP and expect my old email addresses to stop working soon, I use gmail as well but was lucky enough to get 3 email addresses with BT that match my old email addresses obviously with just the last bit changed - which will make life so much handier.

Any help is appreciated.

Davy C

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Hi, welcome to the forums.

For starters, the helpdesk are, as you've found out, not very good at all. Why they continue to say change password is a mystery and should not be done.

Having said that, a password change might somehow fix a slightly corrupted account - perhaps giving access.

When you changed password, exactly where did you change it? If it was on MyBT - changing password typically might only change the password to login to that system - not the email address password.

Try the direct mail link :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

with one of your accounts, but using an old password. Try this only twice with older passwords if you can remember them.

As you've changed ISP, and you are going to tell everyone - and all your website access information, forums etc of your new email address, then the best thing to do without a shadow of a doubt is to use a NON ISP email address(s). Setup Gmail accounts, and if lucky get similar, but doesn't matter. Don't forget, even with your new addresses in BTinternet - you could still get spam immediately if your old ISP accounts got some due to spammers simply changing the bit after the @ to all known ISPs.

When setting up Gmail accounts, try to steer clear of simply adding numbers after the name.

You will then not be tied to any ISP if you decide to move again, and you will not need to change email address.

Quite a few of us regulars in these forums have been recommending for a longtime to use something other than BTinternet email, and yours is a classic case of this recommendation as you're changing anyway.

0 Ratings