Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Unknown or Unwanted email Alias's can't be deleted

Go to solution

Couple of my friends contacted me to tell me they'd received random emails from my account. Having had my account compromised in the past, and BT told me to remove some alias's, I checked to see if the same thing had happened. There were two new alias's, they are using the btinternet & btopenworld addresses, but neither of them have any details when you look at them. When you try to delete them as soon as you press save it just jumps straight to another page about your account and doesn't do anything. Following the help posted here and on the BT site doesn't work either as the help doesn't reflect what you see when your logged in.

I've changed my password in case it is a problem but have zero confidence in BT and their ability to run a decent email service and having been a BT Yahoo email uses in the past seems to compound the problem. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unknown or Unwanted email Alias's can't be deleted

Go to solution

@markllwrote:

Couple of my friends contacted me to tell me they'd received random emails from my account. Having had my account compromised in the past, and BT told me to remove some alias's, I checked to see if the same thing had happened. There were two new alias's, they are using the btinternet & btopenworld addresses, but neither of them have any details when you look at them. When you try to delete them as soon as you press save it just jumps straight to another page about your account and doesn't do anything. Following the help posted here and on the BT site doesn't work either as the help doesn't reflect what you see when your logged in.

I've changed my password in case it is a problem but have zero confidence in BT and their ability to run a decent email service and having been a BT Yahoo email uses in the past seems to compound the problem. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

If your account was compromised in the past, scammers would have any contact addresses that were in the account back then. So chances are, they can easily send spam pretending to be from your email address to any of those contacts. It doesn't mean your account is compromised again. They won't have used your account.

If the aliases are nothing to do with you that you recognise, then there's really nothing to particularly worry about.

Changing password may not have been needed, but perhaps makes you feel more secure. However you should note that scammers can do the same thing again, sending spam to known contacts pretending to be from your account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

If your email was hacked in the past your contacts details would have been harvested by the hackers. This means that the hackers can send spam emails to your contacts anytime that they want. 

It is very unlikely that the hackers are actually logging into your account and sending the emails from your account. Have you checked to see if any of the emails are in your "sent" folder.

The hackers can "spoof" your email address so that it appears that the emails are coming from you. This is done to fool your contacts into believing that the email is genuine.

Have you asked your friends to hover their mouse over the from address, this can reveal the emails actual address as can checking the headers of the emails to see where the emails were sent from.

Where are you seeing the alias addresses?

See link about spoofing.

https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Andy. Good point about details hanging around for scammers to use without a compromise taking place. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks. The emails didn't come from my account. Any thought swhy I can't delete the alias's? This is how the account was compomised before so for my own peace of mind I'd like to delete them as I didn't create them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Where are you seeing the alias names?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

After logging on to my account via a browser, selecting the gear wheel top right hand corner, settings and accounts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Without knowing what the alias addresses are it is difficult to comment about them. 

I have asked the moderators to look at this thread and they may be able to give you an answer.

Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @markll@Andy_N and @gg30340,

This is where it gets difficult. Yahoo have removed the facility to delete an alias and haven't shared any plans on bringing it back. I've contacted them before for others trying to get them to manually do it but they themselves can no longer remove it. 

Thanks

DanielS

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks all for the comments. I'll park the matter as it doesn't seem to be a big problem.

0 Ratings