Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Unsafe emails

Go to solution

For the past 2 months the green padlock disappears from my email tab as soon as I open one. Firefox consistently tells me my emails could be accessed but does not explain what to do. BT Live Chat when asked finally after some time told me to change my pasword. Had to ask how and was told to followi a link. The link did not work. Using a BT search page  I managed to change my password and I  was told this was  successful  but not what to do next. I then tried to log into emails  using my new password but it was not recognised. I closed down, tried again but a message said I had logged in too many times, to try again in 15 minutes and if unsuccesful that a click on the messgae  would allow me to change my password. I did as asked, but still no success and message never reappeared. Consequently, I gave up, reverted back to old password and same padlock problems. Please can anyone explain in simple terms what I should do as BT is useless

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unsafe emails

Go to solution

It has absolutely nothing to do with passwords.

I suspect the mails you are opening contain content or links to non-secure sites.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you but what do I do about the problem  and why did BT tell me differently?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

There is no problem, just ignore it. The helpdesk know nothing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@MagM wrote:

For the past 2 months the green padlock disappears from my email tab as soon as I open one. Firefox consistently tells me my emails could be accessed but does not explain what to do. BT Live Chat when asked finally after some time told me to change my pasword. Had to ask how and was told to followi a link. The link did not work. Using a BT search page  I managed to change my password and I  was told this was  successful  but not what to do next. I then tried to log into emails  using my new password but it was not recognised. I closed down, tried again but a message said I had logged in too many times, to try again in 15 minutes and if unsuccesful that a click on the messgae  would allow me to change my password. I did as asked, but still no success and message never reappeared. Consequently, I gave up, reverted back to old password and same padlock problems. Please can anyone explain in simple terms what I should do as BT is useless

Hi.

Are you with BTYahoo or BTMail? Browser login will show a Yahoo image if BTYahoo.

The direct email change page is at :-

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

and should work straight away. I'm surprised it didn't work when you did a search for change password.

Frankly I would actually change password using the link above, just in case you were using a non BT page.

What version of Firefox are you using? I assume it's something like 57.0.4

You say it consistently tells you the emails could be accessed - is that actually all of the time that Firefox tells you this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you so much. I will do that. I'm with BTYahoo (have never been given any choice by BT) Not sure what version of Firefox I'm on to be honest - whenever I click on the grey/orange padlock Firefox  states my emails could be accessed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Still think it is just insecure content in the email.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@MagM wrote:

Thank you so much. I will do that. I'm with BTYahoo (have never been given any choice by BT) Not sure what version of Firefox I'm on to be honest - whenever I click on the grey/orange padlock Firefox  states my emails could be accessed

Only a subset of users were transferred to BTMail when the migration was stopped in Sep 2014.

Firefox version is got by clicking the "hamburger", 3 line icon at the top, then Help/About Firefox. If you've got the Menu bar, it's Help/About Firefox. If you've not got a menu bar, right click along the tab bar at the top and choose Menu Bar.

I believe licquorice is correct, though when I'm in webmail I see the green padlock symbol.

Do you have any firefox extensions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I see the green until I open an email with images etc that are insecure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you both very much. Certainly changing my email password has made no difference to the padlock (so much for BT's Live Chat solutions!) Will now try to sort out Firefox or change my browser. Thank you again

MagM

0 Ratings