Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Haribo
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Urgent help needed! Regarding btinternet email

I don't what BT are playing at here.

I have just been at a friend of mine's house. He is in his 80s, housebound and not very internet savvy.

He tried to log on to his btinternet.com email address and got a pop up that said he had to change his password due to "suspicious activity" on his account.

So he clicks on change password and the boxes come up for him to enter his new password twice, but then that is it. There is no "ok" button, no "confirm" button, pressing enter has no effect. He is just stuck there, unable to access his own email.

I spent half an hour trying to get round this, downloading different browsers to try it etc. And the same thing happens.

So now he has no access to his emails and no idea what is going on. There cannot be any suspicious activity on his account because he only ever accesses it from a single PC in his home.

Please can someone help sort this out as a matter of urgency.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
twobeards
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Urgent help needed! Regarding btinternet email

Part of the ongoing fiasco of BTs move away from Yahoo I'm afraid. Nothing at all to do with "suspicious activity". If you have sub accounts you've got to change each one and if you  collect your e-mails using pop3 and an e-mail client you have to change that as well This is all because someone in telecom towers has decided you should access your mail through the same site as you look up your telephone bill!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

See this link about resetting password.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/

If you still can't change it then contact BT via this link. You will need the account details and the security answers to the questions that were used when the account was set up.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/5627#h=eyJzdGVwMCI6ImNvbnRhY3RJdGVtTGluazU2MjciLCJzdGVwSWR4Ijo...

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the replies. I logged in for him on my computer at home and it let me change his password. There was a button to actually change it in my browser but not in his, which is a bit weird.

All sorted now, but no idea what the unusual activity was meant to be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

There has been a lot of account hacking in recent months. It's worth checking his account has not had any forwarding addresses added to it. If you go into the mail options and check under POP and forwarding that no address has been added.

There is also information regarding the hacking and what to do in the first link I posted earlier. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

There have been many cases of people hacking into Yahoo accounts recently.  If anyone at Yahoo knows how they are doing it, then they are not saying.

This link https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login... goes to a Yahoo page, where you can log in and see all the recent logins on your account - dates, times, and the country logged in from.  Although it's a Yahoo page, rather than BT Yahoo, it accepts BT Yahoo logins anyway.

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

@Ectophile wrote:

There have been many cases of people hacking into Yahoo accounts recently.  If anyone at Yahoo knows how they are doing it, then they are not saying.

This link https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login... goes to a Yahoo page, where you can log in and see all the recent logins on your account - dates, times, and the country logged in from.  Although it's a Yahoo page, rather than BT Yahoo, it accepts BT Yahoo logins anyway.

A lot of this was happening on hotmail a few years ago, I had to change my password a few times. I may myself start using a private email address from a domain I own. I am getting less and less trust in the big providers.

I shall get him to try and link.

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Ectophile, I have just used that link for him and spotted these entries:

Capture.PNG

He has never been to poland or india.

Has he been hacked and what is the course of action?

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

@gg30340 wrote:

There has been a lot of account hacking in recent months. It's worth checking his account has not had any forwarding addresses added to it. If you go into the mail options and check under POP and forwarding that no address has been added.

There is also information regarding the hacking and what to do in the first link I posted earlier. 

Thanks. I am just going through your first link now.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 11

Hi Haribo,

The link below may be of some help on how to check and what to do if your BT Yahoo account has been compromised:

How to check and what to do if your BTYahoo account has been compromised

The link above is only accessible from a BT Retail Residential or BT Corporate Internet connection.

Also you may be aware that BT are moving their email and associated services away from Yahoo sometime this summer. For more information on this please go to www.bt.com/newemail

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings