Message 11 of 46

Re: Useless new BT E-Mail

thank for this its much appreciated

0 Ratings
markclough1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 46

The £7.50pm is just so that you can have access through a client like Outlook.  If you close the account with BT without it, you only get basic access through a browser

0 Ratings
markclough1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 46

I think we are in violent agreement 😁.  I use Outlook and felt so much better knowing that I had the emails and folders backed up if anything happened at BT's end.

0 Ratings
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 46

Ahh I see 

0 Ratings
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 46

ahh again I might have misunderstood my head is easily peppered with tech

are you saying that instead of using a browser I access bt emails through outlook or  would I be diverting emails to outlook , I totally understand I may look a bit thick but my strength of mind is with machinery      

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 46

You can access email in one of 2 ways, via a web browser (known as webmail) or via a client or app such as Outlook. Mail is stored on the BT mail servers and if accessed via webmail that is the only place it is retained. If you access mail via Outlook configured as IMAP, not only is the mail retained on the BT servers (where it can be accessed by multiple clients or webmail) a copy is downloaded to your PC where it can be backed up. Its not a question of one or the other means of access , both can co-exist.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 46

@licquorice wrote:

You can access email in one of 2 ways, via a web browser (known as webmail) or via a client or app such as Outlook. 

To add to the above.

Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to call their webmail system Outlook.com which happily adds to confusion when talking about email because Microsoft already have an email client called Outlook so you could be using Outlook to retrieve your email from Outlook.com!

goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 46

thanks for the effort now I understand this, I've clung onto btmail as I had no idea this could be done, I could just do this for a year or so and then cut my ties as well, thanks a lot for the education licquorice, I'm going to try and do this today, I'll let you know how I get on  

0 Ratings
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 46

thanks and its the right time to tell me before I set up the wrong one as well- appreciated gg3040

0 Ratings
SB55
Beginner
Message 20 of 46

So what do you use to access your emails please?
0 Ratings