Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 46

Re: Useless new BT E-Mail

On my PC and laptops I use the email client Thunderbird and on my mobile devices I use the paid for version of the Aquamail app although I did use the free version previously.

The only time I use webmail is for test purposes when I answer questions on this forum.

0 Ratings
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 46

valid question SB55

I am sending and receiving emails through bt email 

i have just tried to set outlook up and got stuck at the first hurdle when I am asked for the IMAP and SMTP details I'm lost ,  I have a website and company email but I have no idea how it all works, web enquiries come from my webpage and when I reply it goes back as my email (@btopenworld.com)

I started my business on email before i had a webpage so the web designer did the jiggery pokery stuff - do I need to contact the webpage designers? if so I might be in trouble as they may have gone?

thanks Dave

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 46

The settings you need are here.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

If you set it up as an IMAP account it will synchronise with the BT email servers so that what ever you do on webmail it will show exactly the same thing when you open the email client and vice versa.

In most instances the email client will set up automatically after you have entered your email address but if not see this link about setting up an email client.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/account-set-up/i-want-to-set-up-my-primary-email-...

There are numerous guides on the Internet if you are still not sure how to do it.

0 Ratings
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 46

thank very much gg30340
0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 25 of 46

@licquoricewrote:

I can assure you I am no fan fan boy of BT, you can read plenty of my posts that will convince you of that.

The BT mail system itself is perfectly fine, it is the webmail front end which is truly atrocious. However, there is absolutely no need to use the awful user interface, just use the proper tool for the job and all is well. I never have and never will use a web browser to access email. As I have said many times in the past, you wouldn't try to eat soup with a fork.

Also, by using webmail you have absolutely no backup of your emails and are totally reliant on BT not losing or deleting them. If you use a proper mail client you will have a local copy of all your email which you can include in your backup regime.

I agree that 'accessing mail' is done far better with a client, (particularly with the 'new' BT Mail web interface) - but please consider a couple of things:-

1. If you have to use a machine on which you cannot install your own software (third party machines, office machines) then client use is out of the question - you are stuck with whatever is on the machine . People travelling, people working from offices (unusual as that now may be) - people using office supplied machines at home may well want to access personal email - but would have to rely on a Web Mail interface.

2. If you need to change what the underlying BT Mail does - like add to or change self-created folders, or change the rules on SPAM or safe or blocked senders etc. - then you need to do that via the Web Mail interface - clients can set their own rules for SPAM (on mail that's already 'got through' BT's filters) and can create their own folders but you cannot set up inherent BT Mail folders or SPAM rules save through BT Mail. Which is useful if you are access mail through more than one machine - i.e. a mobile or mobiles and one or more PCs. So you can't entirely avoid the BT Web Mail interface, even when day-to-day mail reading and sending can all be managed through a client.

goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 46

Thanks for this and it is interesting as it does make a difference, whilst I may take the lap top when i know I'm on going to be monitoring the business on holiday etc but sometimes I cant take the lap top and my phone is not great for long emails especially where I am approving detailed designs I need a full screen.

without going into detail here there are reasons that during the day i have to access my emails through another companies computer or my phone and its the reason i stuck with the web browser method.

however I agree a client set up will at least allow me to back up at times I am at home on my own pc or phone? 

I have been trying to do this but since whatever it was changed at but I am struggling- out of the blue I went to log in one day and BT email told me i wasn't logged in and continues to tell me this when I try to log in so something changed making it incompatible, I contacted bt they said use a different browser so I had the new microsoft edge and so used that which let me in but it continually logs me out (every two minutes or so) and has a variety of issues including being painfully slow, whilst I can log in on my phone and laptop using google my phone and lap top are behaving the same and running terribly slow/logging me out.

I will continue with trying to set outlook up and maybe when I have a few months history backed up I can cut ties with bT

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 46

@Jules68 wrote:

@licquoricewrote:

I can assure you I am no fan fan boy of BT, you can read plenty of my posts that will convince you of that.

The BT mail system itself is perfectly fine, it is the webmail front end which is truly atrocious. However, there is absolutely no need to use the awful user interface, just use the proper tool for the job and all is well. I never have and never will use a web browser to access email. As I have said many times in the past, you wouldn't try to eat soup with a fork.

Also, by using webmail you have absolutely no backup of your emails and are totally reliant on BT not losing or deleting them. If you use a proper mail client you will have a local copy of all your email which you can include in your backup regime.

I agree that 'accessing mail' is done far better with a client, (particularly with the 'new' BT Mail web interface) - but please consider a couple of things:-

1. If you have to use a machine on which you cannot install your own software (third party machines, office machines) then client use is out of the question - you are stuck with whatever is on the machine . People travelling, people working from offices (unusual as that now may be) - people using office supplied machines at home may well want to access personal email - but would have to rely on a Web Mail interface.

You can get portable email clients that work on a flash drive. It means that provided you can access the USB port on a computer you do not need to install the email client on the PC/Computer that you wish to access your email on and therefore you do not need to use webmail.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 28 of 46

@gg30340wrote:

@Jules68wrote:

@licquoricewrote:

You can get portable email clients that work on a flash drive. It means that provided you can access the USB port on a computer you do not need to install the email client on the PC/Computer that you wish to access your email on and therefore you do not need to use webmail.

That is true, although many third party machines (and office machines) may disable or not allow the use of flash drives (a notorious source of malware) - but it does not help if you wish to alter the way BT Mail itself e.g. manages SPAM - which you can only do via Web Mail (you can block senders within your client, what you can't do is unblock senders which BT has decided to block). Certainly carrying a client on a flash drive may be of value to you (set-up as IMAP not POP3 unless you want to store all your mail on a flash drive, which I wouldn't recommend). But I would contend that for full e-mail management you cannot ignore the BT specified interface entirely, even if you don't make use of it day to day, or even week to week, once you have sorted its ridiculous SPAM policy (all my major financial suppliers - the major banks - have been placed into SPAM by BT since the change-over).

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 46

I did say "provided you can access the USB port on a computer"  and by virtue of the fact you are using a flash drive I would suggest that you are not using your own computer therefore surely it can wait until such times as you are on your own computer if you feel it necessary to make any changes as regards blocking/unblocking spam.

Nobody has ever suggested that you need never access the BTMail interface ever again if you use an email client.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 30 of 46

@gg30340wrote:

I did say "provided you can access the USB port on a computer"  and by virtue of the fact you are using a flash drive I would suggest that you are not using your own computer therefore surely it can wait until such times as you are on your own computer if you feel it necessary to make any changes as regards blocking/unblocking spam.

Nobody has ever suggested that you need never access the BTMail interface ever again if you use an email client.

Well - you did say:-

The only time I use webmail is for test purposes when I answer questions on this forum.

and then

and therefore you do not need to use webmail.

which does sort of imply that....

Or are you the only one who has never had key emails sent to SPAM?