Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 46

Re: Useless new BT E-Mail

Obviously it was said in the context of using webmail as your daily go to way of accessing your email and that I personally do not access webmail except as I stated because I do not get that much spam and any that I do I just delete it via my email clients and do not bother trying to block it.

I can access my spam folder from my email client so any emails that should not be there get moved to the inbox via the client so again I do not need to access webmail to do that.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 32 of 46

@gg30340wrote:

Obviously it was said in the context of using webmail as your daily go to way of accessing your email and that I personally do not access webmail except as I stated because I do not get that much spam and any that I do I just delete it via my email clients and do not bother trying to block it.

I can access my spam folder from my email client so any emails that should not be there get moved to the inbox via the client so again I do not need to access webmail to do that.

I prefer to change BT's SPAM filter rules just the once than constantly go dipping into my client's Spam folder to find messages from my bank(s), insurer, Amazon etc. etc. - but each to his own. I may look there (client SPAM)  to find any horrors, but sorting it once for all in Web Mail (now that process has been improved) is my preference.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 46

As I said, I do not get that much spam and my bank, Amazon and insurance etc emails have never been in spam. I prefer to access my spam folder on my email client than having to log onto webmail to do it but each to their own. 

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 34 of 46

@gg30340wrote:

As I said, I do not get that much spam and my bank, Amazon and insurance etc emails have never been in spam. I prefer to access my spam folder on my email client than having to log onto webmail to do it but each to their own. 

You are very lucky, - I too get very little actual SPAM (and mostly from legitimate, but unwanted) telemarketers. But I have had to mark as a 'safe sender' 47 correspondents, including the Amazon domain, my (UK) university, 6 major banks and insurers, 2 major supermarket chains, The British Museum and British Gas amongst others. You have been living a gifted life. Even BT admitted its algorithm had a problem with Amazon.

0 Ratings
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 46

Thanks for this everyone,  I have most of my spam and safe senders sorted on BT so I can continue to do that for the time being,  backing up only when using my own kit that works for me I'm on it generally in the evenings anyway, the USB port is actually ok to use on the system in the day so that's a possibility any, Thanks   

markclough1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 46

But on the new e-mail, you can't even move things to spam and anything from that sender will then go into it automatically, really, when it was supposed to be improved e-mail.  And what happened to being able to undo a delete.  Pretty basic stuff for the largest provider of Internet in the UK to get wrong.  Not even as if it was the first part of deployment, I was on the last tranche.......

0 Ratings
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 46

Maybe with everyone complaining about flashing and scrolling adds BT decided to show us exactly what you get with out the revenue from adds? - there's no other reason to down grade  it to what it is now for sure

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 46

@markclough1 wrote:

But on the new e-mail, you can't even move things to spam you can either drag and drop into spam or use the "more" button in the menu and then click on "mark as spam".  and anything from that sender will then go into it automatically, it will after the spam filters "learn" that you have repeatedly  marked the same address as spam really, when it was supposed to be improved e-mail. If you go to the spam box and find something that should not be there all you need to do is tick the box on the left hand side then go to the "more" button in the menu bar and click on it and scroll down to "Mark as nor Spam" and then select the option that you want.  And what happened to being able to undo a delete. If you have placed something in the trash folder that you don't want there either drag and drop it back into the folder you want or use the "more" button in the menu bar to place it into your chosen folder. Pretty basic stuff for the largest provider of Internet in the UK to get wrong.  Not even as if it was the first part of deployment, I was on the last tranche.......

0 Ratings
markclough1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 46

No, I get what you are saying.  The old email didn't need to 'learn' anything though.  Sent to multiple address's = spam, put in the spam folder = spam from that address until you change it.  The undo feature is so basic now as well.  If the email is supposed to be 'improved' then it should really have had the existing tools transferred and added to, not made worse.  I think we all know the only reason we were migrated was as a cost saving exercise so BT had it inhouse and didn't have to pay a fee to Yahoo unfortunately.  Just a shame their development team in India wasn't up to the job or the BT team didn't do the requirements exercise properly.  If anybody was asking me about BT E-mail now, I'd be saying go through a free one, especially as if you leave you have to pay to keep full E-mail functionality.  Not good

Jules68
Expert
Message 40 of 46

@markclough1wrote:

No, I get what you are saying.  The old email didn't need to 'learn' anything though.  Sent to multiple address's = spam, put in the spam folder = spam from that address until you change it.  The undo feature is so basic now as well.  If the email is supposed to be 'improved' then it should really have had the existing tools transferred and added to, not made worse.  I think we all know the only reason we were migrated was as a cost saving exercise so BT had it inhouse and didn't have to pay a fee to Yahoo unfortunately.  Just a shame their development team in India wasn't up to the job or the BT team didn't do the requirements exercise properly.  If anybody was asking me about BT E-mail now, I'd be saying go through a free one, especially as if you leave you have to pay to keep full E-mail functionality.  Not good

Do remember that BT cannot simply copy code (or design) where another has IPR or copyright on it. There are some elements of design (and probably code) which are seen as more general, of course, and where there isn't an IPR, but some where there is.

I think I may have been the first to suggest on these boards that the development team might have started in India (I have no proof of that, but it's not uncommon) but I suggested that the problem may have been that in an Indian lock-down that team couldn't access stuff they'd been working on, because broadband infrastructure might not have been available to teams forced to work from home.  I did so because I knew of a different BT problem where an Indian software management team unable to access systems from home had to be quickly replaced by UK coders.  Indian software developers are generally very much 'up to the job'.

I think certainly that requirements capture (and beta testing)  were poor. I also think that because email systems were now common, it was not understood how difficult designing one from scratch with no underlying existing code that could be immediately used would be.

When Google created Gmail,  for instance, they did so over longer time periods, and were careful about loading the system up with customers. BT had to create something for an existing 5m customer base that would work out-of-the-box. It didn't.

0 Ratings