cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goingfrom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 46

Re: Useless new BT E-Mail

I'd be interested to understand why they proceeded with the move regardless?
Jules68
Expert
Message 42 of 46

@goingfromwrote:

Probably because it was timetabled, budgeted for and formed someone's bonus-able objectives. And the contract with Yahoo probably had an end-date and a cost for extension. 

markclough1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 46

Come on, you seem to be a little more intelligent than that.  This would have been started at least 3 years ago (before the lockdown if I'm not mistaken) and started to roll out last year (not including POC and Beta), which was also before lockdown if I'm not mistaken.

If you are talking about IPR, I doubt that either a decent spam control system like I mentioned in the previous post, or an undo button is covered by IPR, if it is, then were we not worth the payment by BT, were we only worth 'downgrading' to an inferior E-mail client?  Funny about the IPR thing though, seems that lots of other E-mail providers have been able to get round that.

Ultimately, the BT Email is pretty pathetic.  If BT are unable to write decent code and provide what consumers need, they should have a partner that can, HHmmmmm not sure, but maybe Yahoo could help them out.

I will scream from the tallest mountain about the deficiencies in BT E-mail until it is something near to what they provided me with before they cut off payments to Yahoo

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 44 of 46

@Jules68wrote:

@goingfromwrote:

Probably because it was timetabled, budgeted for and formed someone's bonus-able objectives. And the contract with Yahoo probably had an end-date and a cost for extension. 

Really?  Far better to research first. There was no end-date, rather it was a decision made by BT to bring to an end the old BT and Yahoo partnership because, in part, the now infamous Yahoo hacking saga of 2013. This did at the time affect a large number of BT Yahoo users.

Jules68
Expert
Message 45 of 46

@Carlushawrote:

@Jules68wrote:

@goingfromwrote:

Really?  Far better to research first. There was no end-date, rather it was a decision made by BT to bring to an end the old BT and Yahoo partnership because, in part, the now infamous Yahoo hacking saga of 2013. This did at the time affect a large number of BT Yahoo users.

Of course there is an end-date. When BT decided to move its e-mail service (partly at least for the data breach reason you cited) it did  it in two tranches - first moving the data to its own controlled servers (which is when the move from 'Yahoo Mail' to 'BT Yahoo' occurred and if you recall that was done as a 'controlled' migration over a longish period) - and then, as second stage moving existing customers from the Yahoo supplied Web Mail interface to their own. They will have agreed with Yahoo how those migrations were to flow, and at what dates they would be reducing and finally ending their contractual commitments for supply. BT's move away from Yahoo have taken a very long time - they used to use/ partner with Yahoo as a full portal once with news and financial information provided as well. But that move (in its stages) will have had contractual end-dates negotiated. I was never suggesting that the first move (to BT controlled servers) was triggered by a contract coming to an end, but once you have decided to move, for whatever reason, you will negotiate alterations to your supply contract with dates and numbers. The references I made reflect the plan (agreed with Yahoo) for the final move away from the last service being offered by Yahoo - the Web Mail front end - which will have volumes and dates within it. That's just normal commercial practice. And meeting those volumes and dates will form part of the objectives of BT people tasked with delivery. The reduction (and eventual end) of payments to Yahoo will be part of an annual budget (the whole exercise will have been baked into 5 year plans) - and not meeting budgets is not a career enhancing move.  

prabtcom
Contributor
Message 46 of 46

1. To add to the last entry

Why don't BT stop spending money on football?  And spend the same money getting our email service back. And allow us to watch football on the BBC.

Do you that some years ago I sold all my BT shares, as my protest against BT's involvement in football.

Bring back the Postmaster-General

------------------------------------------------------------

2. Forwarding emails

I am quite used to forwarding emails rather than replying if I want any attachments to go to the new recipient. Tonight I sent an email with 11 attachments to 3 recipients. I got a message to say that one recipient could not receive them because the email was too big. So I went to my 'sent' file, found the sent email with all the attachments, and pressed 'forward', thinking that I would knock off the last three attachments, and send that to the one recipient, having entered his email address.

What has come up is a completely blank email - no text or attachments 

0 Ratings