Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fonfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Using IMAP for email instead of POP

Hello BT Forum,

I have been using IMAP to configure my email for a couple of years. I prefer it to POP because I can have my BT Yahoo Mail folders on my computer's email. I've had no problems with it until a couple of weeks ago.

I recently renewed my phone and broadband contract with BT and within a day, the IMAP configuration stopped working. I rang BT's technical department and the guy who answered said the IMAP is no longer available because BT has severed its relationship with Yahoo! I've searched online for information about BT and Yahoo! parting ways, but I can't find anything.

FYI I use Mac Mail. I tried deleting the account on Mac Mail and setting up my BT email again using IMAP and this worked OK for a couple of days, but now nothing will download and I am getting the triangle of death.

Please can anyone help? Why would this set-up suddenly stop working? Is it to do with my new contract? Is it true about BT and Yahoo! and why would that make a difference? 

Why does BT make it so very difficult to use its products? The website provides no information on this. If the IMAP configuration is no longer available, it would be helpful if there was an explanation on the website. Can the Mods shed any light on this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Using IMAP for email instead of POP

I haven't heard anything about BTYahoo splitting from Yahoo however I think it would make very many people happy if they did after the ongoing trouble with hacked email accounts.

Back to your problem.

Here is a post regarding similar problem to you

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/IMAP-not-working-on-Mail-for-Mac/td-p/774554

Having looked at various posts and forums it would seem IMAP is a problem with Yahoo and Apple. The main problem seems to be pasword rejection. I did see one post where changing your password to only contain lower case and numbers worked. Some people have found the best solution was to give up on IMAP and just go for a POP account.

If you want to contact the Mods regarding this you can get them on this link. They can take 3 days to reply.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

BT have consistently said that they do not support IMAP email, just POP3.

This myth is not true; many on here [including myself] use IMAP in preference to POP3 for BT mail.  My email account[s] via IMAP are still working fine ATM.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@AllanQuatermain wrote:

BT have consistently said that they do not support IMAP email, just POP3.

This myth is not true; many on here [including myself] use IMAP in preference to POP3 for BT mail.  My email account[s] via IMAP are still working fine ATM.

Hi.

I think the wording used is misleading. "Not supporting it" effectively means "You're on your own", rather than it doesn't work.

Message 5 of 7

I meant to convey that BT wont assist ["not support"] with any queries on IMAP e-mail issues, only POP3 ones.  At least that was my experience and a few others I've come accross.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Fonfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I've sent a message to the Mods but meanwhile have given up on IMAP. Just set up POP and it's downloading every email I've ever received in my BTinternet account including emails I long ago deleted. Sigh...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

The reason for that is you never deleted them from the server. If you don't have your email client set up to do that then it just leaves them there.There is an option on some email clients to delete from server when deleted from client.  

When you set up your POP account  check that you have checked the box leave on server otherwise when you download your emails on your phone they will not be on the server to be down loaded on other devices. If you do that you will need to log in to your webmail now and again and delete your emails from there unless the email client has the option to delete from server when deleted on client.

Hope that makes sense!

0 Ratings