cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hwalker1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Using Outlook on BT

I have used Outlook on BT for as long as BT has had an email service. On July 7th it stoppes working, and has not worked properly since. First it started asking for my password, so I went on to web mail and changed it, and then updated my Outlook password. This worked for about half an hour, when it started again.

I have done this almost on a daily basis since then, with no lasting success. At one point I spoke to Microsoft and they took control of my computer and deleted and re-installed outlook. It got so bad that I set up another email service with Names.co.uk and used outlook on that with no problems. So my program is OK.

Outlook works - but not apparently with BT!

Despite having logged around ten service calls logged with BT, they refuse to give me the settings for use with Outlook.

I looked for settings on BT's web site and found a page that gives them for BTYahoo. I also found another page that displayed a video for BTyahoo settings. Both were different and neither worked.

It would be great if someone that uses Outlook 2013 on a BTYahoo connection could post their working settings here.

Ideally a screenshot of the three pages of settings needed, as text settings can be misinterpreted.

There is another page that just asks for a name for the account. This should not affet the otehr settings.

I would be forever greatful.

Foir reference, here are the ones that I am using that do not work.

**Edited**

snip2.JPG

snip3.JPG

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Using Outlook on BT

You should delete your email address from the pictures you have posted. This is a public forum.

The BT settings you need are here.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

If they still don't work and provided you are on the BTYahoo email system you could try and use the Yahoo settings.

POP settings 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html

IMAP settings

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

I use the following settings in Outlook 2010. they should be the same in 2013

Your Name

Email address: Full btinternet email address

Account type: IMAP or  (POP)

Incoming server: mail.btinternet.com  

Outgoing server: mail.btinternet.com

Logon information:

User name: prefix only of email address

Password: Email password

Tick remember password

Do not tick Require password auth (SPA)

Click Button More settings

Tick box my out going server requires authentication

Tick box use same as incoming

Do not tick log onto incoming server

Advanced Button

Incoming server 993 or (POP 995) Tick requires SSL

Outgoing server 465 Use following type encryption SSL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

@Hwalker1 wrote:

I have used Outlook on BT for as long as BT has had an email service. On July 7th it stoppes working, and has not worked properly since. First it started asking for my password, so I went on to web mail and changed it, and then updated my Outlook password. This worked for about half an hour, when it started again.

I have done this almost on a daily basis since then, with no lasting success. At one point I spoke to Microsoft and they took control of my computer and deleted and re-installed outlook. It got so bad that I set up another email service with Names.co.uk and used outlook on that with no problems. So my program is OK.

Outlook works - but not apparently with BT!

Despite having logged around ten service calls logged with BT, they refuse to give me the settings for use with Outlook.

I looked for settings on BT's web site and found a page that gives them for BTYahoo. I also found another page that displayed a video for BTyahoo settings. Both were different and neither worked.

It would be great if someone that uses Outlook 2013 on a BTYahoo connection could post their working settings here.

Ideally a screenshot of the three pages of settings needed, as text settings can be misinterpreted.

There is another page that just asks for a name for the account. This should not affet the otehr settings.

I would be forever greatful.

Foir reference, here are the ones that I am using that do not work.

**Edited**

Change btopenworld.com to btinternet.com

@Change username to full email address using @btinternet.com

snip2.JPG

snip3.JPG

Change incoming server to 995 and tick SSL box
Change Outgoing server to 465 and select SSL

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
Hwalker1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Using the settings provided in the link to BT Settings I get the following error messages:

*Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] (#MBR1213) Please verify your account by going to https://login.yahoo.com

*Send test e-mail message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

==

Using the Yahoo settings from the link supplied I get the following error messages

*Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] (#AUTH204) Service is not available; please try again later.

*Send test e-mail message: Cannot find the e-mail server. Verify the server information in your account properties.

==

Using the settings that you use in Outlook 2010, I have managed to connect to the incoming server, and it is currently downloading my mail for the last 4 years (circs 16 Gigabytes), which will take a few hours on my line connection speed of 2.2 meg.

When It has finished downloading these emails, I should be able to check if it can send them.

Hopefully at the end of that time I will be saying thanks a lot to yourself, and putting in a complaint to BT for giving the wrong information on its web site.

Why it failed in the first place I do not know, but no changes were made at my end.

Will report back, and thanks in advance.

Best wishes

Hwalker1

@gg30340 wrote:

You should delete your email address from the pictures you have posted. This is a public forum.

The BT settings you need are here.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

If they still don't work and provided you are on the BTYahoo email system you could try and use the Yahoo settings.

POP settings 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html

IMAP settings

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

I use the following settings in Outlook 2010. they should be the same in 2013

Your Name

Email address: Full btinternet email address

Account type: IMAP or  (POP)

Incoming server: mail.btinternet.com  

Outgoing server: mail.btinternet.com

Logon information:

User name: prefix only of email address

Password: Email password

Tick remember password

Do not tick Require password auth (SPA)

Click Button More settings

Tick box my out going server requires authentication

Tick box use same as incoming

Do not tick log onto incoming server

Advanced Button

Incoming server 993 or (POP 995) Tick requires SSL

Outgoing server 465 Use following type encryption SSL

0 Ratings
Hwalker1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

After downloading over 7500 emails, the process stopped with the following error:

Task 'bt mail - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] (#MBR1213) Please verify your account by going to https://login.yahoo.com'

So I did this, entered my username and password, and was immediately connected to my webmail account.

Checking out the error on the forum, It tells me to try to see who else other than BT and me has been logging in to my email.

I followed the link with no success, except for finding Yahoo's quick fix tool. That says it is going to take up to 24 hours to work.

More wasted time!

More news tomorrow if I don't die of exasperation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Why are you downloading all the emails again. Do you not already have them downloaded by Outlook before your problems started? They should be in Outlooks folders.

See link how to find the folders. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1...

If you do have them already downloaded, do you need them to be on the server? If you are happy to delete them off the server, log onto your email account via webmail and delete them. This will stop them all being downloaded again.

If you do want them on the server, move them out of the inbox into a folder and that should stop them being downloaded again. 

0 Ratings
drifter
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Is any of the foregoing information here of use to me adding my Yahoo.com account to Outlook 2016?

It has been proving to be a little frustrating as I keep getting errors messages when I try to set the account up on Outlook and I wonder if it is a problem with BT and I can use any of this to resolve it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

It is similar but different.

See this link for Yahoo settings.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15165.html

If that doesn't work, start your own thread so that you don't cause confusion with answers on this thread. 

0 Ratings
a13est
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

I had the same problem for a long while with Outlook/Hotmail and discovered that an IBM Rapport application was the culprit.

Having disabled the application cured my problem and I can access my Outlook account without difficulty.

Hope this is helpful to you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hwalker1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

Why are you downloading all the emails again. Do you not already have them downloaded by Outlook before your problems started? They should be in Outlooks folders.

See link how to find the folders. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1...

If you do have them already downloaded, do you need them to be on the server? If you are happy to delete them off the server, log onto your email account via webmail and delete them. This will stop them all being downloaded again.

If you do want them on the server, move them out of the inbox into a folder and that should stop them being downloaded again. 

Ever tried deleting 16500 emails using webmail? They download automatically - nothing I can do to stop them. Takes hours and hours over my slow connection.

I now have a solution - don't try to use Outlook 2013 with BT Yahoo mail as all the helpful instructions on the forum just don't work, and neither BT nor Microsoft will help or admit what changes they have made to cause it. Last post on this question, as I started another somewhere else as instructed by the mods.

0 Ratings