cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 45

Re: Vanishing emails

Many thanks indeed.  I will try that (fingers crossed!)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

0 Ratings
poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 45

Best laid plans of mice and men!

Can't get Mozilla.com to come up either via the direct links or Google, but will try again later.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 45

Mozilla.org is down at the moment, try this instead.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_thunderbird/

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 45

poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 45

Thanks, Keith.  The first substitute site worked, and I think everyrhing is now working!

Have a good day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 45

@poppet1 wrote:

Thanks, Keith.  The first substitute site worked, and I think everyrhing is now working!

Have a good day.

Thats good, its an interesting program. I use it for e-mail and custom RSS feeds from this forum.

poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 45

I joined this forum out of sheer frustration at emails being mysteriously transferred to Trash and then mysteriously being deleted with no input from me.  This was compounded by BT's refusal to admit there was a glitch in the system, and insisting I had carried out these manoeuvres myself (while asleep in bed with the computer switched off). 

I think it was the sheer indifference that "got" to me. 

It was so refreshing to find that there were people willing to help their fellow BT users, and I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to Pottyperson (not so potty!) and Keith.  You've made an old woman very happy!

In the light of my remarkable lack of knowledge of all things computer (they hadn't even invented the binary system when I was at at school), I'm sure I'll soon be back. 

0 Ratings
fleurthedog
Beginner
Message 18 of 45

Thank you Pottyperson. We have thought about using an email client but I'm no teccy (understatement!) and my husband thinks that if we use a client which automatically sucks our emails out of our web account, then we won't be able to also view them online after that. Is this correct?

What I would love is an email client that automatically stores the emails somewhere safe, but that we can also view them online directly too. Otherwise we will only be able to see them when we're at home on a certain pc. Using the web based access that we do, we can open and look at them from any pc anywhere, by just logging in to BT yahoo.

I'm probably sounding very thick, but is it possible to have an email client and still keep them accessible on yahoo?

If so, this will be the way forward. But I remain furious with BT yahoo for this situation, and their refusal to acknowledge that it might be their problem. How can I escalate this?

Btw, we know this is a yahoo issue as they simply reset our email accout to a fixed day 10 days before (18 January) with all the emails I had deleted reinstated, and all the email activity since that date deleted. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 45

@fleurthedog wrote:

my husband thinks that if we use a client which automatically sucks our emails out of our web account, then we won't be able to also view them online after that. Is this correct? 

No. Using POP, email clients generally delete messages from the server by default but have an option to leave them if you want.

You can also use IMAP instead of POP, particularly useful if you want full access to your email account from a number of devices. There's plenty of advice on KB's help pages (see message 10). Unlike me, he's an IMAP user and you can come back here if you need any more.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 45

Morning Fleurthedog,

As one obvious non-tecky to another, I can tell you that I followed Keith's advice (above) and installed Thunderbird.  I can now see the restored emails, and new ones on both sites.  Hope this helps.

Still totally with you on BT Yahoo's responsibility for losing our emails.  Hope someone tells us how to get them to take the system problem they obviously have seriously.