cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 45

Re: Vanishing emails

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The problem of saving sent messages can be overcome by changing the "sent" location, to a local folder, then every so often, copy them back to the main "sent" folder on IMAP.

Thanks Keith. By "on IMAP" you mean "by using IMAP"?

And, by default, IMAP saves Sent emails on the YahPooh servers? Hence the slow procedure, and sometimes that frequent failure to save to Sent folder.

Is this a known issue? is it yet another symptom of Yahoo's poor email service, or the trail that BT customers' mail takes via  BT - BTYahoo - Yahoo servers, and probably getting spied upon by Mark Monitor in the US? Why should it be so slow

I assume it is easy to find the settings to make a new local Sent folder and configure to save sent mails to there?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 45

I will try and get a screenshot of the bits you need to change.

Message 33 of 45

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I will try and get a screenshot of the bits you need to change.

No hurry Keith, Hero Sage (new status Smiley Very Happy)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 45

It will have to be later anyway, as I have to go out for a while. It will be added to a supplement of my existing pages, and once it is finished, I will post the link on this thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 45

Here is the link to the page with the extra information.

Supplementary information for Thunderbird

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 45

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@fleurthedog wrote:

I'm probably sounding very thick, but is it possible to have an email client and still keep them accessible on yahoo?

Its still important to remember to backup your own computer on a regular basis, so you do not lose the saved e-mails if your computer fails.

But not on a cloud! Local separate drive in your own home Smiley Very Happy

Both approaches have + & - 's.

A cloud based backup or datastore gives protection from (say) a local disaster - flood, fire etc - but you need to trust the provider of the remote storage to not mess things up. Whereas a local backup, such as a different local disk drive, removes the reliance on a remote third party, it might not protect against the kind of local disaster mentioned above.

Different strokes for different folks 🙂

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 45

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Normally Thunderbird stores the mail in the default user profile, but the best option is to setup some Local folders, which is much more convenient, as you can change the location to wherever you want it, archives are also stored there as well.

On the other hand, the user profile stores all manner of other stuff as well as email, such as account settings, RSS feeds & subscriptions, calendar data, news account data, extensions etc.

So if your computer has two partitions, say C: for system and 😧 for data, then you can store your local folders in D:\mail.

What's the perceived advantage in doing that over simply backing up the whole of the profile ?

The problem of saving sent messages can be overcome by changing the "sent" location, to a local folder, then every so often, copy them back to the main "sent" folder on IMAP.

Is this something peculiar to Thunderbird ?  I use Claws on Linux, and it's not something I've ever noticed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 45

Ian,

I just prefer to keep data on a separate partition, as it keeps the size of my system partition fairly constant, as this is backed up every week using Acronis.

If I have to do a system recovery, then I can simply copy back my profile data afterwards.

I do keep a backup of the user profile settings as well, plus some other folders, again using Acronis, but only as user data. This is done daily.

The "copy to sent" problem only happens very occasionally, as to why you do not see it on your other clients, I am not sure.

0 Ratings
poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 45

Goodness me, if the experts and gurus can't agree, what hope is there for poor Fleur and me?!

I, for one, "lost the plot" several posts ago, and am now suffering from severe "brain ache"! 

I came back to say that I had an attempted Trojan attack this afternoon.  I do hope it's not connected to downloading Thunderbird!

In the meantime, I will try to get my brain in gear to understand what's going on.  By the way, who or what is "Acronis"?

Hope everyone has a good evening.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 45

Do not worry, its just general chatter, not a disagreement Smiley Wink Just ignore us.

Acronis refers to Acronis True Image, which is a computer backup program which I use to take system images of my computer, in cas something goes wrong.

The Thunderbird program is fine, and has been around for a very long time, so there is nothing to worry about.

If you have any questions, please ask.