Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 41 of 45

Re: Vanishing emails

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Do not worry, its just general chatter, not a disagreement Smiley Wink

Absolutely...I'm sure KB has devised a backup regime that suits him fine, as have I, but I just thought it worth pointing out that backing up the entire profile folder is a simple way of safeguarding pretty much an entire T'bird installation. In the event of a disaster you only then need to reinstall T'bird and copy the profile folder back, and pretty much all of your account settings, contents, emails, extensions etc are restored.

Just ignore us.

Aw...:(

poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 45

Well, that's a relief!

Now I'm back home I will try to understand what you're both talking about.

Bonsoir.

0 Ratings
fleurthedog
Beginner
Message 43 of 45

Just to update you all, I got nowhere with BT or Yahoo - both flatly refused to investigate why my emails are vanishing - it seems easier to tell the customer that they must be deleting them (yes poppet - in my sleep too!). I got right to the top at BT customer care but still met with a wall. I am now with the Communications Ombudsman. My emails are still vanishing, though this time more sytematically - they simply drop off the bottom of my inbox on a daily basis. No idea why. I've set up Mozilla Thunderbird so I have a backup but so far can't find a way of getting it to auto startup when I open the internet so if I forget to manually startup Thunderbird then I'm stuffed.

I know I'm not alone in having these problems with Yahoo, but as individual customers obviously BT doesn't want to spend any time on dealing with us. Big boys vs little people. We're considering moving to another provider but there's no guarantee they'll be any better. 

0 Ratings
fleurthedog
Beginner
Message 44 of 45

PS - all you teccies out there have left me sticking my head in the oven! I've simply no idea what Imap/partitions etc etc are. I need a noddy guide to doing all this stuff but not sure if one exists!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 45

@fleurthedog wrote:

I've set up Mozilla Thunderbird so I have a backup but so far can't find a way of getting it to auto startup when I open the internet so if I forget to manually startup Thunderbird then I'm stuffed.

In Windows:

1. Click Start then All Programs.

2. Right-click Mozilla Thunderbird and click Copy

3. Right-click the folder named Startup and click Open.

4. Right-click in the window that appears and click Paste.

5. Next time you turn your computer on say, "Ooh, thanks pp."

You can set Thunderbird to check for new messages on launch and to open with the Inbox, so that your stuff will appear before your very eyes.

You can also set other programs to open automatically, eg your internet browser.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings