cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goshjm
Message 1 of 15

WINDOWS 10 MAIL PROBLEM

I am having problems with Windows 10 Mail.

My email is with British Telecom – I have 3 email addresses, the first has the same name as my BT ID, plus 2 ‘secondary’ ones.  I managed to get Mail to accept both the main one plus one of the two others (I rarely use the third) until a week or so ago when Mail started saying that there was a password problem with my secondary email and wouldn’t access it.  I’ve a feeling that this has coincided with a Mail ‘upgrade’!

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this without success.  I watched (and followed!) the excellent Britec YouTube video (from March 2018) on how to both reset and reinstall Mail – again without success.

Interestingly, when I delete the non-working account and then try to set it up again from scratch, it firstly tells me I’ve been successful, THEN tells me there’s a password problem when it tries to access the emails!  Also, if I change the one line of the setup data called ‘User Name’ from my SECONDARY email address to that of my MAIN email address it works (but as my main address!).

The data I’m putting into Mail is as follows:

EMAIL ADDRESS:              secondaryemail@btinternet.com

USERNAME:                       secondaryemail@btinternet.com

(when this line was changed to mainemail@btinternet.com it then worked – but as mainemail!)

PASSWORD:                       ********

(why does Mail change my 8-digit password into a 16-digit one?!).

ACCOUNT NAME (Shown on Screen):    secondaryemail

SEND USING:                     secondaryemail

INCOMING:                        mail.btinternet.com

OUTGOING (SMTP):       mail.btinternet.com

ACCOUNT TYPE:               IMAP4

HELP!!!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: WINDOWS 10 MAIL PROBLEM

do you have btyahoo email and not the newer bt mail?  if so this is a common problem and there is no real solution  however if you use search and read through some other posts on email forum you will find some good help suggestions

best advice would be to use third party email like thunderbird and set up a gmail account

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
goshjm
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for your comments.

I have BTmail (@btinternet.com) not BTyahoomail.

I have also tried a number of suggestions from various sources - no luck so far!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

sorry having a btinternet.com address does not mean you are on BT mail   

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
goshjm
Message 5 of 15

In that case, how do I tell the difference?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

By logging in to webmail here and checking for any sign of Yahoo branding.

As regards  your original problem, just leave things for a couple of days and it will probably right itself. Don't change any passwords.

0 Ratings
goshjm
Message 7 of 15

It seems that I have a "BT Mail Account"!

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

@goshjmwrote:

I have BTmail (@btinternet.com) not BTyahoomail.

I have also tried a number of suggestions from various sources - no luck so far!

I have the BT yahoo but it still is @btinternet.com

I have had exactly the same problem but just left it for a couple of days and it started working again.

Thunderbird is a fine mail server but gave the same problem.

As mail servers do not seem 100% reliable I now check using webmail at least once a day.

When you can't get it with Windows mail does webmail work, if so it is a windows mail problem and nothing to do with BT mail.

0 Ratings
goshjm
Message 9 of 15

I have 'left it for a few days' already (probably over a week!).  When I access my BT email through the BT site/program all is well so I agree that it sounds like a problem with Windows 10 Mail (which they seem to have 'upgraded' at about the same time as the problem appeared!).

The thing is, is it possible to get over this?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Windows 10 mail and webmail access the mail servers differently and it is possible for the passwords to get out of sync.

You could try this.

Close W10 mail and any other devices that you use to collect email such as smartphones iPads etc.

Change the email password using webmail, wait at least 30 minutes to give the servers chance to sync and then open W10 mail, enter new password and see if that works.

0 Ratings