cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 15

Re: WINDOWS 10 MAIL PROBLEM

@goshjmwrote:

I am having problems with Windows 10 Mail.

The data I’m putting into Mail is as follows:

EMAIL ADDRESS:              secondaryemail@btinternet.com

USERNAME:                       secondaryemail@btinternet.com

(when this line was changed to mainemail@btinternet.com it then worked – but as mainemail!)

PASSWORD:                       ********

(why does Mail change my 8-digit password into a 16-digit one?!).

ACCOUNT NAME (Shown on Screen):    secondaryemail

SEND USING:                     secondaryemail

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Win10 email is a funny beast, and the wording doesn't seem quite right.

You are adding as Advanced setup I assume ...

Anyway, all the items you're entering are correct - the item called "Username" is actually the login email address. The "Email address" is the one that people see to reply to.

The password showing as more * is a security thing and doesn't mean there are 16 digits.

The mail upgrade you mention should have had nothing to do with it as that seemed to only be a BTMail webmail user interface revamp.

If all of a sudden there is a password problem in an app/client - e.g. win10 mail, then the thing to try is webmail. If access works - then the issue is down to access via pop3/imap and not a user setting issue.

It's at that point nothing should be done, no settings changes, no password changes - nor any mail delete/re-add etc, or indeed app/client uninstall/reinstall. However this issue seems to usually affect those on BTYahoo email.

Are you with BT Broadband or do you have a BT Premium email account?

0 Ratings
goshjm
Message 12 of 15

Thanks for your detailed comments - much appreicated!

To deal with them in order:

1   I am indeed adding as 'Advanced Setup'.

2   You say that "the item called "Username" is actually the login email address".  When I log into BTs own webmail program (without using Windows 10 Mail)  I have to use my "mainemail@btinternet.com" address.  I am having the problems with my 2 No.  "secondaryemails@btinternet.com" addresses.  I have tried changing the "Username" entry in the Windows 10 Mail "secondaryemail@btinternet.com" entry to "mainemail@btinternet.com" - it then throws up all my "mainemail@btinternet.com" emails!

3   "The mail upgrade you/I mention" - is to Windows 10 Mail - not BT Mail!

4   The BT Webmail does work OK - if that then means "then the issue is down to access via pop3/imap and not a user setting issue", then what am I doing wrong and what do I do about it?!

5   I am with BT Broadband.

With baited breath.....!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 15

@goshjm wrote:

Thanks for your detailed comments - much appreicated!

To deal with them in order:

1   I am indeed adding as 'Advanced Setup'.

2   You say that "the item called "Username" is actually the login email address".  When I log into BTs own webmail program (without using Windows 10 Mail)  I have to use my "mainemail@btinternet.com" address. 

No you don't, when you login to webmail you use whichever email address you want to view mails for. Does webmail work when you login using secondaryemail@btinternet.com as a login.

I am having the problems with my 2 No.  "secondaryemails@btinternet.com" addresses.  I have tried changing the "Username" entry in the Windows 10 Mail "secondaryemail@btinternet.com" entry to "mainemail@btinternet.com" - it then throws up all my "mainemail@btinternet.com" emails!

Obviously, as that is the email address for that account.

3   "The mail upgrade you/I mention" - is to Windows 10 Mail - not BT Mail!

4   The BT Webmail does work OK - if that then means "then the issue is down to access via pop3/imap and not a user setting issue", then what am I doing wrong and what do I do about it?!

5   I am with BT Broadband.

With baited breath.....!

0 Ratings
goshjm
Message 14 of 15

"Does webmail work when you login using secondaryemail@btinternet.com as a login."

Yes it does!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 15

In which case you could try what I suggested in message 10 earlier.

0 Ratings