cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianJSmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Webmail password changed, Client access has not

Help! I am new on here as support leaving me at end of my tether, please bear with me.
Two weeks ago I changed my mail email account password via the BT website.
I expected to have to change the passwords setup on my MS Outlook for PC and Outlook for Android on mobile (obviously after a delay).
BUT I can only connect to my inbox with a client app using my previous (old) password.
This means I now have two passwords one for webmail and one for client apps.
I have had 2 web chats and calls to 1st line support and eventually passed to 2nd line support who appeared to know exactly what was wrong.
I was told my email was now on list to be fixed and to wait 48 hrs, and given a number 61998 to text if any problem.
Two days passed and the fault still existed so sent text and received no reply, similarly two days later.
On Friday I had a text saying someone had tried to contact me and would try again another day. I had not had any unanswered calls on my mobile but the text was sent to correct mobile number. Sunday I waited in for the next call but within the time period for the call had another text again saying unable to contact me and again no call before that.
3rd webchat and had to explain all over again and directed me to contact BT Tech Experts (£8 per month subscription).
They also left me with trying to connect and selecting the 'Yahoo' option when recreating the account yet again, but there is no such option, all I do on mobile is enter email address and password and that's it.

I have changed webmail password twice since but am still left with one new password for webmail and the original old password (>2 weeks ago) for client apps.

Hope someone can help

regards

Brian

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Webmail password changed, Client access has not

There would appear to be a disconnect between the password being changed on webmail and the servers being updated with the new password. This has been reported before.

What has sometimes helped is to change your password again but prior to when you change it on webmail turn off your other devices  and on your PC prevent Outlook from polling the servers for your mail.

Wait at least 15 minutes, preferably longer, then change the password on the device to the new password then allow it to access the servers. Do one device at a time.

0 Ratings
BrianJSmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Thanks will try that. I have separate laptop that I can use to change webmail so I can turn off both PC and mobile. Will update as to result after I've had a rest, been on this since 3pm today.
0 Ratings
BrianJSmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Hi,

I am afraid that has not worked in my case . All client devices closed down, webmail password changed on spare machine, left for 2 hours. Still have to use old password to connect in using client apps, webmail have to use new password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 27

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

Message 6 of 27

Hi @BrianJSmith,

I'd like to look into this for you and see if we can help you. You can reach my team by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. It may take us two working days to get back to you but we will do all we can to help.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
BrianJSmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Thanks
0 Ratings
BrianJSmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Hi

One of your team called me and set up a call from Yahoo 7-9pm on 16-March but I did not receive any call.  Password fault still continues.

Brian

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Hi @BrianJSmith

That was me that called.  I'm sorry no one was in touch.

I'll check what happened and I will come back to you later today.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 27

Try this link 

0 Ratings