cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikewood61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 27

Re: Webmail password changed, Client access has not

BT closed my case.  Now after several complaints I have had a call from India saying they can do nothing.  I have webmail access and they agree and understand there is a password sync issue between webmail access and client access.  Effectively if you log on using webmail its whatever password you set.  you can change this on the account section. HOWEVER if using a client it will be an old passpword as they are not updating the Yahoo end so when you log on with Outlook you get the message incorrect password.    Click for get and it takes you to the defunct re.ister.btinternet page

I have now been referred to the Uk complaints review team.  India say nothing more case closed

Im now waiting for the time when I can go to ofcom.

0 Ratings
BrianJSmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 27

There IS something BT can do, they can move customers with this problem over to BT Mail.  In May 2014 I had email informing me I would be moved to BT Mail. This has never happened. This a quote from the email: "BT Mail isn't provided by Yahoo" so I can only assume that moving over to BT Mail would remove the problem as all the email elements would be hosted by BT.

0 Ratings
mikewood61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

Agreed.  I set up my accoints as IMAP as required to do ready for the move some years ago.  It was as you say put on hold in September 2014 for reasons nobody has ever explained.   I think they have hoped that the number of Btyahoo accounts would diminish and the issue disappear.   One idiot called Dave at Cardiff actually said theres no such thing as btyahoo

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 27

The password change link is working, and has been for a few days now. It didn't when I posted in this thread, but that was effectively a rare occurence.

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

0 Ratings
mikewood61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 27

Hi

Sadly the issue remains despite waitg over 50 minutes before using outlook

It clea;ry is a bt v yahoo issue

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

I had a similar problem of not being able to access email accounts after a password change. After the password change all accounts were accessible via webmail so I knew the password I was entering was correct. This always needs to be your first approach after email password changes just to be absolutely sure your details are correct.

I have eight email accounts in total, four are from earlier years on a previous Bt account and these are Bt Yahoo Mail. (Yes, there is such a thing as Bt Yahoo Mail, there shouldn’t be because in 2014 Bt were supposed to change everyone over to Bt Mail, but they didn’t). The other four are Bt Mail accounts. I have 2 PC’s and a laptop all running Win 10 and I use Outlook 2007 as my email client and also use 2 ipads and an iphone. This was the scenario after the first password change, the four Bt Yahoo mails would not work on any of the equipment. I deleted accounts and reinstated them, but still no good. The four Bt Mail accounts would work on the PC’s and Laptop running Win 10 using Outlook, but none of the eight email accounts would work on the ipads or iphone.

I took note from the advice regarding changing the passwords again and low and behold this worked on all accounts and on all equipment. The only observation I was able to take from this situation was that my first change of passwords that caused all the problems included the ‘£’ sign as part of the password but when I changed them again I excluded the ‘£’ sign. Whether this had anything to do with it or not I don’t know, but with everything working I’m loath to experiment with changing the password once again and introducing the ‘£’ sign!!

I really do think it’s time Bt addressed this problem with Bt Yahoo Mail as many people still have these old accounts. I also think that those employed to assist customers should be aware of these password-change problems and not insist that we have set up the accounts incorrectly, it’s very annoying!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 27

@FawltybeeTowerswrote:

I really do think it’s time Bt addressed this problem with Bt Yahoo Mail as many people still have these old accounts. I also think that those employed to assist customers should be aware of these password-change problems and not insist that we have set up the accounts incorrectly, it’s very annoying!

Hi.

This isn't going to happen. Many of us have been banging on about these issues for years.

As has been said on a vast number of occasions, never change any settings or delete/re-add accounts etc to devices if access doesn't work - the advice is simply to wait.

Before a password change - every device should be stopped from auto-synching, and then check only one after a 15-20 minute wait following a password change. After that access has returned, try each device at a time.

There have been issues with people using non alpha/number characters.

The migration to BTMail was permanently halted in Sep 2014.

0 Ratings