Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 71 of 88

Re: What is wrong with BT Yahoo Mail

@bratman91 wrote:

You may be right although I am not entirely convinced - if you look at some of the Apple/Mac forums, you will see that the same or similar problem occurs with Hotmail accounts. My BTinternet accounts on iPhones and an iPad, which set themselves up as POP3, seem to be a lot more reliable and durable than the BTinternet accounts on my iMac, which, for reasons I do not understand, set themselves up as IMAP. It may be my impression only, but my first computer using the infamous Windows Millennium seemed to have no problems at all with email so perhaps all the various "improvements" over the years are introducing new problems. I blame it all on global warming!

When you were using Millenium you were not accessing your email accounts with several devices simultaneously.  In most cases this problem is solved by ensuring that this situation does not occur by setting up your devices so that accounts are accessed manually on all devices.  The evidence suggests that Yahoo servers are no longer the cause.

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 88

Vofsanity2, I had more than one device with Millennium operating system and they were each accessing emails at what seemed to be the same time although whether or not this was simultaneous I cannot say.

Your suggestion that devices access the email server manually is not really addressing the problem.

What is the evidence that the Yahoo servers are no longer the cause?
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 73 of 88

@bratman91 wrote:
Vofsanity2, I had more than one device with Millennium operating system and they were each accessing emails at what seemed to be the same time although whether or not this was simultaneous I cannot say.

Your suggestion that devices access the email server manually is not really addressing the problem.
Oh yes it is because it is the ONLY way I know of stopping SIMULTANEOUS access.

What is the evidence that the Yahoo servers are no longer the cause?

The Yahoo server problem was cured by at least May 2012.  Most reports of this problem since then indicate that those suffering the problem are accessing their accounts using multple devices and a combination of one or more of IMAP, Smart phones with Push set, Tablets, automatic send/receive. Tablets and phones are generally not switched off so sit polling the servers. In Millenium days they were not around.

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 74 of 88

"Oh yes it is because it is the ONLY way I know of stopping SIMULTANEOUS access."

That "solution" seems to me to be close to saying that the problem could be totally resolved if we never turned on our devices - where is the official statement from Yahoo that their servers cannot cope with simultaneous access?

"The Yahoo server problem was cured by at least May 2012. Most reports of this problem since then indicate that those suffering the problem are accessing their accounts using multple devices and a combination of one or more of IMAP, Smart phones with Push set, Tablets, automatic send/receive. Tablets and phones are generally not switched off so sit polling the servers. In Millenium days they were not around."

I find it hard to believe that Yahoo would not be aware of such a problem and cover themselves by warning users that multiple access would result in difficulties. If, as you say the Yahoo server problem was cured, something is still seriously wrong.
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 75 of 88

@bratman91 wrote:
"Oh yes it is because it is the ONLY way I know of stopping SIMULTANEOUS access."

That "solution" seems to me to be close to saying that the problem could be totally resolved if we never turned on our devices - where is the official statement from Yahoo that their servers cannot cope with simultaneous access?

"The Yahoo server problem was cured by at least May 2012. Most reports of this problem since then indicate that those suffering the problem are accessing their accounts using multple devices and a combination of one or more of IMAP, Smart phones with Push set, Tablets, automatic send/receive. Tablets and phones are generally not switched off so sit polling the servers. In Millenium days they were not around."

I find it hard to believe that Yahoo would not be aware of such a problem and cover themselves by warning users that multiple access would result in difficulties. If, as you say the Yahoo server problem was cured, something is still seriously wrong.

As you do not seem prepared to accept my advice I suggest you do some research to find the answers you seek.

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 76 of 88

It is not that I do not accept your advice but want to see how it stacks up against evidence.
My iMac uses IMAP protocol for BT Yahoo email whereas my iPhone and iPad use POP. As far as I can see, the different protocols use different servers. That does not seem to be consistent with your advice that the problem is caused by multiple devices accessing the server, since I get problems with my iMac which is the only device using IMAP.

Secondly, if there was an issue with multiple access, surely Yahoo would wish to protect their reputation by simply telling us about it rather than allow large numbers of people to become more and more frustrated and angry with the company.

Isn't research: test, test, test?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 88

I know users who occasionally have this problem that do not have a mobile phone/tablet. The only device accessing their email account by POP email client is their laptop. I also know a user in a similar position who again has no other device except their PC accessing their email by IMAP so this would tend to rule out the theory that it is caused by multiple devices accessing the servers. 

It may be a contributing factor in some instances but obviously not in them all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
OAP41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 78 of 88

Yes I am one of the many users who are experiencing issues with Yahoo.  Trouble is I am NOT a 'techie' and rely on BT customer service for support.

Have been aware for some time Yahoo (not just mail) has been experiencing problems, as they are constantly "temporary"

closing for overhaul.

Contacting Customer service a few weeks ago, they installed Google, which I was not too happy to use.

Last week there was a failure with BT Yahoo mail and upon contacting BT, they set up e mails on GOOGLE,  which meant I use this for mail and internet Explorer for  surfing.   Now find access to mail is possible on BT Yahoo Google and I E.   However the links are very unstable, and the 'compose' page is not consistent.

Rather inclined to agree with the many contributors that BT has NOT given sufficient information to its customers about the problems to its customers.   Yes they DO post on their website that they are experiencing delays in answering calls in relation to faults and accounts, which speak volumes.  I tried them yesterday for an account query which took 25 minutes to answer, but the information I required was not available.

Perhaps BT should post a written apology on their site for the delays, plus some explanation as to what is going on, and when they expect the issues to be resolved.  Although there are many customers loyal to BT, loyalty does not provide a proper service which is expected of them.

I have always resisted the fibre option from other suppliers, but the longer BT remain silent about the ongoing issues, the more likely I am to switch when my existing contract expires.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 79 of 88

@gg30340 wrote:

I know users who occasionally have this problem that do not have a mobile phone/tablet. The only device accessing their email account by POP email client is their laptop. I also know a user in a similar position who again has no other device except their PC accessing their email by IMAP so this would tend to rule out the theory that it is caused by multiple devices accessing the servers. 

It may be a contributing factor in some instances but obviously not in them all.

One has to be careful here not to assume that all password rejection issues are the same problem.  The multiple access problem usually gets reported as a password/username rejection when the password/username is correct. The most likely cause is some form of timeout being misinterpreted. Single device access can occasionally suffer from a similar problem but this is usually fairly infrequent. 

The problem that I am addressing here is users who get the issue with an account that is accessed by several devices.

I am also dealing with users that have the issue not those that access their account and do not have the issue. I have several accounts that are accessed by several devices and I do not have the issue.

The question that needs to be asked is why do some have the problem and others not.

They are all using the same servers, but different email clients, different devices and different operating systems.

Within the forum you will find official statement(s) about the Yahoo server problem being fixed last year. This affected almost everyone.  There are also statements about multiple access causing problems.   I have tested that the yahoo server problem was fixed. I have also tested (in a limited way)  that multiple access does cause the problem in some circumstances.  I have also checked that this can be got round by changing how an account is accessed by multiple devices.  In individual cases this is easy if you can have hands on. It is more difficult trying to put forward a general solution that will help everyone.

However this I have attempted to do for the particular case of multiple device access to a single account.

My general advice is :

a)  Do not use webmail unless you have to.

b)  If you do you use webmail make sure that you sign out when finished.

c)  On no account tick the "keep signed in box"

d)  Check that your account is not set to the default two week login check.

e)  Make sure that all your devices do not check for emails automatically but require manual intervention.

f)  Use POP instead of IMAP in email clients.

g)  Make sure smartphones and  tablets have Email accounts Push "off "and Fetch data "manually".

0 Ratings
e-dinosaur
Message 80 of 88

i have done all of a) to g) except I don't understand where I can find d) the default to week login check ?? is this in webmail, and if so, where?
thanks in anticipation
0 Ratings