Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert

Re: What is wrong with BT Yahoo Mail

Between them. BT and Yahoo don`t have a clue - or don`t care. It`s not as if these are mickey-mouse company`s. They are both very big in their respective worlds, but their response to emails/telephone calls is zero, zilch, na-na, NOTHING!

It`s time they grew some b***s and sorted out not only this email fiasco but also the `Amazon` app on their tool bar.

Untill then I`ll continue to use Windows Live Mail (which works) and wait untill the amazon app has been removed before downloding their toolbar - hell may freeze over first Smiley Very Happy

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.

Try turning off all of the devices that you access your btinternet mail from - iPhone, iPad, Mac Mail, Outlook - included and make sure you have signed out of your webmail.

Then turn on the one device that you want to get your email from - i.e. Mac Mail.  That generally 'solves' the problem. 

It appears that suddenly the yahoo servers cannot handle more than one device accessing your email at one time.

You can turn off your iPhone and iPad email by tapping 'settings', then 'mail, contacts, calendars', then on your 'Yahoo' account and switch the button to 'off'.

You will know when you can access your email on Mac Mail by looking under 'Preferences', clicking on 'Accounts' then, clicking on your Yahoo IMAP account.  In the 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - you will see 'btinternet.com' (or something like that).  You will not get emails if the text in this drop down area says 'btinternet.com (offline)'.

Aspiring Expert

BT representative of exec tech contacted me 15 minutes ago. gave him permission to take control of my PC - changed email app and updated/adjusted BT toolbar. email app now works okay.

P.S. BT toolbar does not belong to BT it belongs to and is run by Yahoo.

P.P.S. Amazon app has nothing to do with BT, it is responsibility of Yahoo.

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
Contributor

BT Yahoo mail has a real problem.  75% of the time my Mac Mail returns an incorrect password popup.  If I enter the correct PW it just does it again.  If I then try to access the account via webmail the saved password doesnt work but if I input the PW again manually (same PW) I can then get into webmail.  If I then return to my Mac Mail and try again it works.  **bleep** annoying and def a BT problem.

Expert

PhilUK53 wrote:

BT Yahoo mail has a real problem.  75% of the time my Mac Mail returns an incorrect password popup.  If I enter the correct PW it just does it again.  If I then try to access the account via webmail the saved password doesnt work but if I input the PW again manually (same PW) I can then get into webmail.  If I then return to my Mac Mail and try again it works.  **bleep** annoying and def a BT problem.

This is not just a Mac problem but also occurs on Window PCs also.  As indicated earlier in this thread can you please report this issue to the forum moderators via this link.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

In particular, please ask why logging in to webmail and doing what you describe clears the problem temporarily.  An explanation of this would be very useful to all of us.

This issue plagued me also but fortunately has gone away over the last three months.

Aspiring Contributor

Ok, I'm really fed up now.  

I've been in contact with BT (no help), sent my details to the moderator as requested (heard nothing, and still can't access email), and am approaching 4 weeks with VERY intermittent email (they normally come in a group at approx 3am, and then nothing again).  

I have tried switching the mail off all ipad/ iphone, no difference....

Any other ideas, short of changing service providers?

Thanks 

Contributor

This is one of several threads in the forum all complaining about the same issue - BT Yahoo email connection failures. In a few cases people have not correctly set up their email programs, but this is easily corrected and  not relevant to the ongoing issue.

The problem is a failure of the BT /Yahoo email servers to properly connect. For users of POP mail, this shows as a rejection of the user's email address/password combination, even when it has been correctly sent. For IMAP, it shows as timeout errors before the exchange has been properly completed. If is possible that some of the other reported errors, e.g. email attachments, may be due to the same server failures.

These problems have been evident since at least July 2011, as can be seen from the links below. 

It is important to note that the errors are NOT related to the type of user's computer or email client. They are reported by users of Windows, Apple and Android.

The errors happen randomly in time and location - not every user gets them, and for some users they come and go over periods of weeks or months.

A number of users have sought help from the forum moderators, from helplines to India, and from BT executives. None of these calls for help has so far achieved a positive result.

We know that BT has subcontracted its email operation to Yahoo in the US, and it is almost certain that the fault lies either within Yahoo or with BT's connection to it. But it seems that BT is unable or unwilling to press Yahoo for a resolution - either that, or their contract with Yahoo has such a low service level that the consistent failures are considered by them to be acceptable.

As far as I can see, users have three alternatives:

1. Carry on using the broken service, and accept the frustration caused.

2. Leave BT and move to a service provider that has a reliable email service.

(For those of us who have used the same addresses for many years and rely on them to maintain personal and business contacts, both of these are painful options.)  

3. Find a way to elevate the issue to a level within BT and/or in public, where they are forced to address it and find a solution.

For those unfortunate users who have recently come to the forum seeking help with their email problems, I hope that the foregoing will provide some enlightenment. You will however have to make your own decision as to how you wish to proceed.    

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/email-password-rejection/td-p/490755 

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/E-mail-password-rejection/m-p/234061/highlight/true#M638...

Aspiring Contributor

Thank you RG01, it's kind of you to take time for such a comprehensive reply.  

Actually I had already looked at both threads in the hope that they might provide some answers, but there's nothing in them that has helped, or indeed given me much hope!  As you, I have a mixture of work / home email addresses and to change them would be problematic, so like many I feel 'trapped' into staying with BT  Having said that, we all have a tipping point!

Here's hoping it gets fixed soon...

Thanks for this helpful reply.

Email problems since December and as always with BT, getting stuck at the first level agents who insist on taking control of my PC, causing further damage (they removed the spam filter on the webmail service for example saying that it was "useless".  Reported the same fault each time - the 0xccc0092 login rejected error. Different excuse each time as to what is wrong - usually that it’s my machine, Outlook 2003 and or Windows 7. Wrong! I tell them I have the same problem on my Ipad, Android Phone, Laptop with Windows Mail as well as the Desktop with windows 7. They then leap on that and say "ha ha" that is your problem. All of these machines are trying to log-on at the same time and our security is so tight it starts to reject them.

So, being charitable, I switch them off from downloading email automatically except on my Ipad.  Ipad shows my login details rejected…….. Ring BT, agent: "Ha ha - its these new Ipads and we can’t check those out".  Funny the same when I use the Android as the receiving machine, then the laptop and so on.

In January I was told by a senior supervisor (his words) on the "Tier two" technical support team that there was an issue between the Yahoo and BT servers with no estimated timeline for resolution. Three weeks ago another "supervisor" from the same team told me that was "not true" and repeated the "too many logon attempts".

Made a complaint with clear evidence of what I had done and left BT in no doubt that I would pursue the complaint in other directions if I didn't get a resolution after so much wasted time and energy chasing the problem "at my end".

I got an almost immediate reply with some new technical suggestions as to how to provide info for me to run tests to help them but which I didn't use because of course the problem is random and I couldn't guarantee doing the tests they asked me to when the email was down. I went back to the person again with this information and this was the reply:

"Unfortunately this has been a long standing known issue since November 2011, the issue is extremely intermittent meaning that one day your e-mails will work fine, on other days your e-mails may not work at all.
The problem is between the Yahoo servers and Microsoft, they are currently in negotiations to resolve this issue, however there is currently no resolution date. There will be further updates on the BT Forums and this is the best source of information about this issue.
I would like to apologise once again for any inconvenience caused to you and thank you for your patience. Please bear in mind that you should have a full working service via BT Webmail at www.btyahoo.com which is what BT guarantees in relation to any e-mail issues."

Unfortunately the webmail service is clunky as well - after BT broke the thing, my inbox emails are delivered instead into my trash folder, I move them back and when I next log in, they are back in the trash!

You pays your money..............................

I know I’m a sad person but I do generally like the rest of the BT Broadband service (although I think that’s only because it’s better than most others I have tried!) and in any case I want to keep my email address.

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE – this usually works for me – From IE, Log on to BT Yahoo mail, and then Log Out. You may have to do this twice.  Then close IE and try to download your emails in your email client. This works for me nearly every time. The only downside is that sometimes I get the last few days emails duplicated.  

Contributor

Well Bennie_g, that reply you have quoted is typical of the utter rubbish that BT have spouted about this issue (when they have bothered to reply at all)

Firstly the issue has been known about far longer than November 2011, as you will have seen from the infamous 68 page thread which started in July last year and then closed with a claim that the it had been resolved .

Secondly it has nothing whatever to do with Microsoft. They are not involved. I can only assume that this is a feeble attempt to pass off the blame to someone else.

Thirdly, I have looked through the BT Yahoo T & C's and can find no reference to email being supported only via webmail. This looks like yet another shoddy attempt to avoid the issue.

It seems that there is actually no-one left within BT who has the technical knowledge to fix this problem, or sufficient management authority to force Yahoo to fix it. Every response so far has just been to deny there is a problem or blamed it on the customer or some third party.