cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BikerDon
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Who would have thought it

This isn't a question, it's just a piece of information that may be of interest to someone else in the future.

After spending a few days/sessions trying to track down a couple of problems* with my BTYahoo email address with our friends in India, one of the agents said I had to change my email password as I hadn't changed it for some time.

This I did and all appeared to be well while using Webmail on my PC. I then tried to set up my mail clients on my phones and tablet. No matter which client on what platform I tried I couldn't log in, I kept getting various error messages. Some just said 'Error' others cited a problem with username and password which I knew couldn't be the case as Webmail worked .....or so I thought

Several more sessions/days with our friends from India later, no solution. Completely different answers from each agent. The last one brushed me off by saying it's a 3rd party issue (the clients) so they couldn't help - that was annoying. Another said I would be moved to BT Mail - that was a shock after years of waiting for that to happen. One session I got passed to three agents by the end of the chat. Another was suggesting I was using the wrong settings. I don't think they knew the answer at all.

These days lots of systems are requiring the use of upper and lower case, numbers and 'special characters' in passwords so I have been doing so on all my accounts whether required or not. I had done the same with my btinternet email account.

Anyways the answer appears to be that you can't use every 'special character' or maybe it's the number of them I used, or perhaps the fact I used several in a row. I can't be ar$ed to experiment... Anyway I used just common one and all was well.

* The original problems don't appear to be fixed

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
tickhill
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Who would have thought it

Disappointing reading and something I have experienced in the past when needing help.

I thought however that BT had brought all their teams back to UK Based Call Centres  - is that not so?

0 Ratings
BikerDon
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Obviously not as I asked one of the agents where they were and what the time was. He/she replied it was India and 3:00 in the morning, middle of the afternoon here
0 Ratings
BikerDon
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

This was all done using online Chat, would that make a difference? I wouldn't expect it to, to be honest, as they would still need access to the support systems etc.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Are you using Apple devices by any chance? There seems to be an issue with them when using some special characters.

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

@BikerDon
I don't think that they were telling you the truth about their location.
India is only 5.5 hours ahead, so 3am there is 9:30 pm the day before here.
0 Ratings
BikerDon
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

@Andy_N

> Are you using Apple devices by any chance? There seems to be an issue with them when using some special characters.

Nope - Windows and Android man through and through, me

0 Ratings