cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clipper203
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Why do I keep having to change password for BT account and BT email

I have a BT Broadband account and so does my friend who I am trying to help with access to his account and emails.

It seems he can change the account password after answering his security question (e.g. mother's maiden name).

This new password also becomes the password to access his emails. The problem is that this password only lasts for a day or so and then it has to be changed again.

Can anyone throw any light on what is going wrong.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why do I keep having to change password for BT account and BT email

there are numerous posts on the email forum like yours   the forum advice is to do nothing - don't make any changes - wait a day or so and try again

if you search or just look through email board you will see all the other posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
clipper203
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your reply.

The problem has been going on for almost 2 weeks now.

How long has my friend got to wait?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

did you read the other posts?

can you access the account using web mail?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
clipper203
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I've  read a few previous  emails but none look to be any use.

Unless he changes his BT account password, he can't  access his account to access webmail.

Thanks for your interest

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

If yòu read other posts the suggestion is to stop polling the for new email with all the apps and the access using webmail and change the password. Then wait a few hours with nothing trying to access email to let servers update then try again

0 Ratings
clipper203
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for your reply.

Since then he has changed his BT account password again (which changes his email password to the same password).

He then accessed his email on webmail okay immediately after changing the password.

He has tried webmail again this morning after waiting 3 days and has been denied access again and has had to change password yet again.

This is getting ridiculous and he is tempted to give up on BT and find another provider.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Does your friend have a device with an email app that is polling his account with an incorrect password?

0 Ratings
clipper203
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

After we changed his password the other day, I asked him not to try and access his email for a few days.

Unless he has tried without me knowing, today (3/11/19) is the first time an attempt has been made to access email via webmail.  I can't contact him until tomorrow to confirm he hasn't tried on his PC where he uses the 'Window Live Essentials' email client.

I'll report back with his comments.

Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Does he also have an email client (app) on his phone/tablet that could be polling the server with a wrong password?

0 Ratings