cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Why is it not possible to set up my btinternet.com email address on my Samsung phone?

Go to solution

Hi,

Just got a new phone.  Using the Gmail app, which I have used successfully on my Android tablet and old Android phone with my btinternet email address.  But the new phone is not having it.  All my gmail accounts work fine (but then they do not require a full manual setup like BT email).

Tried following the settings here:  https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTI2MTUzMDU0L2dlbi8xNT...

Several times, have checked and double-checked I am typing everything in correctly.  Tried IMAP (which I would prefer) and POP3.  Neither work.  Even checked that all the settings are the same as on my Android tablet which works with BT email.  Then I tried again with the Samsung email app.  Same story, doesn't work with BT email.

What am I doing wrong?  Any hints or tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Why is it not possible to set up my btinternet.com email address on my Samsung phone?

Go to solution

Your link does not work so I am unable to see what set up you are using.

If you are using the stock Android email app the following settings should work.

Make sure that you set it up manually and do not use the set up wizard.

Incoming: 

Username : xxxx@btinternet.com

Password: xxxxxxxx

POP3 or IMAP Server: mail.btinternet.com

Security: SSL

Port:995 (POP) 993 (IMAP)

Delete from server: Up to you

Outgoing:

SMTP Server: mail.btinternet.com

Security type: SSL

Port: 465

Require Sign in (Tick box)

User Name: xxxxx@btinternet.com

Password:xxxxxxx

If you find that these settings do not work and provided you are on the BTYahoo email system you could try using the Yahoo server settings as per this link

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3697.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Re: Why is it not possible to set up my btinternet.com email address on my Samsung phone?

Go to solution

@Itsmeagainwrote:

Hi,

Tried following the settings here:  https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTI2MTUzMDU0L2dlbi8xNT...
Thanks!

Just for info, your link includes the session ID for your login, it will not work for anyone else.

The link is up to an including the number before "session" :-

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

0 Ratings
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Hi. They are exactly the settings I used (IMAP) . I don't know how to post the link if you cannot read it but it was from BT customer help and contained exactly the details you posted. And the server will not acknowledge it. So what do I do next?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

If you are on the BTYahoo system did you try the Yahoo settings?

0 Ratings
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Hi
I'm so sorry, I don't understand the question and what Yahoo has to do with it. I've had this btinternet email address since about 2000, it's never been a Yahoo email address and I've never had to set it up as a Yahoo email address on my PC, laptop, Android tablet or past Android phones. Please can you help me understand why it has morphed to a Yahoo email address since I bought my new phone this afternoon?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Meanwhile, just to let you know, I have now solved the problem (but I do not understand why it works).

I downloaded a different Android email app called Blue Mail.  I entered all the details, just as I did before on the Gmail app and the Samsung email app, i.e. the below and now it all works.  Sorted.

You might like to note this as a solution if others have the same problem.

IMAP settings

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated by selecting the SSL encryption)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

Root folder/path:

Folder separator: . (full stop)

Please do NOT enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

If your IMAP client supports it, we recommend you also set up the following folders:

• Trash
  • Sent Items
  • Drafts

SMTP settings

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selecting SSL, so you'll need to check)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Authentication: PLAIN

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Glad to hear you got it working. The settings you have used are the ones that BT recommend and the ones I posted.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

For information, if you have had a BT email address since 2000 you will have been on the BTYahoo email system. You may have been migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail a few years ago.

If you want to check you need to log onto tyour email via webmail on a web browser and if you look at the BT logo if you see Yahoo it means you are on the BTYahoo email system.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@Itsmeagainwrote:
Hi
I'm so sorry, I don't understand the question and what Yahoo has to do with it. I've had this btinternet email address since about 2000, it's never been a Yahoo email address and I've never had to set it up as a Yahoo email address on my PC, laptop, Android tablet or past Android phones. Please can you help me understand why it has morphed to a Yahoo email address since I bought my new phone this afternoon?
Thanks

BTinternet has 2 mail suppliers, Yahoo and Synchronoss - the former is called BTYahoo, the latter BTMail. Prior to March 2014, Yahoo were the sole supplier, and had been for around 10 years or so. So it was called BTYahoo.

BT then decided to use Critical Path (then Openwave and now Synchronoss) calling it BTMail. The migration from Yahoo was set to be performed over a few months, then in September 2014 it was permanently stopped - leaving two suppliers and a complete mess. The reason has never been given.

The email addresses remained as exists as they were effectively unaffected.

The reason for asking whether accounts are BTYahoo or BTMail is due to there being a few minor differences in some of the features. Webmail will show a Yahoo image, with BTMail showing a BTMail image :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57483/c/7339/

When Yahoo took over the servers, it was possible to use the Yahoo mail servers for btinternet email addresses rather than mail.btinternet.com - but was suggested if failures for some people were occuring. It was never supposed to be a permanent solution. With BTMail accounts following migration, it's not possible to use those servers.

The mess is due to many in the helpdesk not even knowing there are two systems, and with different features makes it a crazy and not an ideal situation. However the typical settings to access mail via an app/client are the same, but only if using a manual setup. Some apps/clients actually try to setup accounts using the Yahoo settings when entering btinternet email addresses - clearly causing confusion and annoyance.

So, in short - the question to find out if the account is BTYahoo or BTMail is relevant.

0 Ratings