cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spock999
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Why is my trash building up?

Having used BT mail for ages (accessed thru Windows Mail), why has the trash suddenly started building up. I have the Windows Mail set so that it shouldn't leave a copy of the email on the server when it picks it up. But a copy does remain and I notice that my trash has started to accumulate.

In web mail there is no mechanism to clear the trash periodically.

Why?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why is my trash building up?

It does get emptied automatically eventually, I would not worry about it, there is plenty of storage space.

0 Ratings
spock999
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Storage wasn't the issue.

I have never regarded email as very secure but at least when it is on my computer I have control. You hear so many stories about hacking etc that I am much happier if it is not stored on the BT server for longer than necessary. It isn't any issue with most emails but there are some where it is much more important.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Yahoo have recently changed the way their servers work.  They used to delete mail that had been downloaded by POP3 if you set that option in your mail program.  Now they move it to trash instead, and delete it a while later.

There's nothing you can do about it at your end.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@spock999 wrote:

In web mail there is no mechanism to clear the trash periodically.

If you're really concerned about this, you may wish to know that the Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail still has the facility to delete items from the Trash folder. Many users, me included, have reverted due to dislike of the new version.

Reverting requires a workaround but it's not complicated. Two methods are given in this thread: http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/HOW-TO-RECOVER-BT-YAHOO-CLASSIC-MAIL/m-p/348169#M12234

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings