Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bert4545
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Why should Bt email vary with browser?

Go to solution

I was quite annoyed that, after I typed my greeting (Hello), and hit 'Enter' to go onto the next line, nothing happened when I typed -- this still happens if I hit 'Enter' to go to a new paragraph later on.  I have to hit 'Enter' again to be able to see what I'm typing. I complained to BT. I had a phone call from BT who suggested I try a different browser.  I tried Google Chrome, and found it behaved sensibly.  But WHY??? Surely a browser just connects you to a website, BT's in this case.  why should it behave differently depending on which browser I used to find it? (Btw I don't know the difference between a browser and a search engine.)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NigelB72
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why should Bt email vary with browser?

Go to solution

There's lots of different browsers and websites are generally designed for the primary ones. A lot of these run on Chromium ( Google Chrome) so they should function the same. If a certain feature doesn't work, it may not be supported by that browers. 

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I quite often find that websites don't play nicely with Firefox but as soon as I use Opera they are fine. Websites were so simple in the early days, complete minefield these days with all the fancy stuff.

RobinP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Every time I tried using Firefox for BTmail up comes "incompatible browser try Chrome or .....? " I forget (probably The Dark Side).

Firefox was my browser of choice but for convenience use Chrome and now, due to lack of use, find Firefox's upgraded look baffling! 😉

0 Ratings
DavidB2
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Bert - just in case you still have this problem, I finally solved it! It was due to a tweak with Firefox to make it work better with Gmail, but it makes it worse with BT.

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste newline and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the editor.use_div_for_default_newlines preference to switch the value from true to false

0 Ratings
Bert4545
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
I'd love to believe you, David, but you say I should click the button accepting the risk. I don't know you from Adam. How can I know it's safe to accept the risk?
0 Ratings
DavidB2
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Your call of course, Bert, and you are of course wise to be wary.  Here is a link to the Firefox page where I discovered the answer - hope that reassures you:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1297621

0 Ratings
monarchjock
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I use a Tesco Hudl with Chrome to look at my webmail. Sometimes when I login the layout is completely different from the normal . When it is like this I can' t define an email as spam. I just recently realised the web address  is slightly different for the 2 layouts.

For the one that works for me. email.bt.com/mail/index-tui.jsp?v=2.20.2#app/mail

For the one that doesn't work properly for me. email.bt.com/mail/index-rui.jsp?v=2.20.2#app/mail

One letter of a difference. So when the wrong layout appears I just change rui to tui. Perhaps there are different addresses for different browsers.

So far I haven't tried other letters to see if I get another layout. 🙂

0 Ratings