cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gterry
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Will SSL be mandatory after mail migration?

Hi there,

I understand that server settings will change when BT's email is migrated to a new platform. I have an elderly relative who uses an old email client called Turnpike, which out-of-the-box does not allow changes to port or security settings. I can find a way to force a change of port settings, but I won't be able to force it to use SSL/TLS.

Will she still be able to use Turnpike to receive and send emails?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Oliver341
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Will SSL be mandatory after mail migration?

The CP servers are currently accepting non-ssl on smtp 25 and pop3 110 - I think it's unlikely to change, at least not without plenty of notice.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Turnpike can't do SSL/TLS on its own. Something like Stunnel will work, or an AV package that provides an email proxy could also work.

It doesn't appear clear at the moment whether SSL will be enforced or not, come the revolution...
0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

@Oliver341 wrote:

The CP servers are currently accepting non-ssl on smtp 25 and pop3 110 - I think it's unlikely to change, at least not without plenty of notice.

You say that but earlier in the week I and others couldn't get access without using SSL. And there had been no notice of the change. There is quite a bit of discussion about the issue at http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Anyone-else-unable-to-connect-to-mail-btinternet-com-thi... and later. Including a request to the Mods for clarification.

I see a contribution from you to that thread to the effect that 110/25 still work although SSL is preferable. You may be correct that 110/25 still work but I haven't changed the settings back partly because they seem marginally more stable using SSL and, as you point out, there are other advantages.

Michael
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 5 of 6

@Brighton_Rock wrote:

You say that but earlier in the week I and others couldn't get access without using SSL. And there had been no notice of the change. There is quite a bit of discussion about the issue at http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Anyone-else-unable-to-connect-to-mail-btinternet-com-thi... and later. Including a request to the Mods for clarification.

I see a contribution from you to that thread to the effect that 110/25 still work although SSL is preferable. You may be correct that 110/25 still work but I haven't changed the settings back partly because they seem marginally more stable using SSL and, as you point out, there are other advantages.

Whenever it has been raised, I have telnetted to mail.btinternet.com on ports 25 and 110, and found it "open for business" each time.

And whilst I do advocate SSL with port 465 and 995, the official advice is still this page:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876/

i.e. ssl disabled using ports 25 and 110. Since the service was using Yahoo who support both ssl and non ssl, 465 and 995 were always available despite BT's advice, and that appears to be the case on CP too.

Hopefully the official advice can be updated to encourage people to use ssl rather than sending their passwords over the internet in plain text.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
gterry
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the helpful replies. It would be good if one of the Mods could give a definitive answer as to whether the original settings (non SSL) will still work after the move, even if new settings are recommended. Surely someone must know?

Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings