Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rogu2
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Windows Live Mail not connecting with BT server

Go to solution

Hi,

I've noticed the same problem on the forum with users of different email programmes.

I have 2 btopenworld addresses which I access through Windows Live Mail.  This morning WML will not connect to the BT server on my computer.  It works fine on my Windows phone and I can access webmail and Outlook/Hotmail email with no problem.

WML message shows "connecting", but never does: I eventually get a timeout error message 08800CCC19.

I've contacted BT helpdesk and was told my account was fine and I should try deleting and reentering the account details.  (I see this is not recommended here!)

Possible source of the problem is that I uploaded some photos from my phone yesterday, this knocked out the internet connection on the computer for some reason.  It came back after a restart - have tried this, but it doesn't work.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rose

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Windows Live Mail not connecting with BT server

Go to solution

This often happens and is usually a server problem that resolves it self in a day or two.

You are best to leave things alone for at least a couple of days. Do NOT change any settings or passwords and do NOT delete the account and try setting it up again at this stage.

If your other devices are working OK when connected to your Homehub it is unlikely that it is the problem but you could try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. It won't do any harm and it might get you connected to a new mail server.

0 Ratings
rogu2
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks. Apologies for double posting: I thought the first post had been deleted as I wasn't registered and it had disappeared when I'd done so.
0 Ratings
rogu2
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

5 days later .... I have tried resetting the hub and also turning it off for a couple of minutes and then back on, but no change.  Windows Live Mail on the computer is still not connecting with BT mail server and I am still getting the Timeout 08800CCC19 error message.  No problems with anything else on the computer and all emails are coming in as normal on the phone.

I do think uploading photo from the phone may have switched some connection off - have checked the various logs, performance records etc but don't really know what I am looking for.  Mail account settings haven't changed in any obvious way.  POP3 incoming 110, SMTP outgoing 25, just as it's always been.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Please...?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

You are using the wrong settings. They should be as per this link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

rogu2
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
Yes, thanks, I'd seen that and noted the difference, but it doesn't explain why my current settings (given to me by a BT tech, admittedly several years ago, after an email problem) should suddenly stop working, and that is why I didn't change anything. I'll give it a try now, thanks for the advice, and let you know.

One thing BT need to change on that page is the reference to Windows Live Mail and link, which just takes you to "no longer supported by Microsoft."
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

The settings given to you were correct a number of years ago but for the last four or five years the correct setting are those in the link. The old settings are not secure/encrypted and are no longer used by BT. 

Microsoft stopped support for WLM a few years ago. You can still use it but it no longer gets security updates so could be vulnerable to attack. You may want to consider using a more secure email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird.

0 Ratings
rogu2
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks, all done and working correctly BUT I am unable to change to IMAP in the Windows Live Mail account properties.  Is there any way round this except by changing to another Mail prog?  I get pop up notifications from Outlook Mail on the computer, and can open the prog, but it keeps disappearing off the screen when I try to click on anything, so not too keen to change.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

You can not change to IMAP on the fly. You need to delete the POP3 account first then set it up again as an IMAP account.

If you do decide to do that make sure that all the emails you want are still on the BT servers by logging onto your account via webmail. They may have been deleted previously so won't be shown when you go to IMAP.

Prior to deleting the account you should/could back up the emails that you already have on your computer. If you do a google search for where WLM stores the emails you will find a guide how to locate them. If you don't back them up they could be lost when you delete the account.

0 Ratings
rogu2
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks, might have known it wouldn't be simple.  I will investigate doing that, but not just yet ... had enough of it for one week!

0 Ratings