cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim193
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 138

Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

Hello,

I use windows mail on a laptop running Windows Vista Home Basic. I live in a rural area and I am lucky to get 0.7meg download and 0.3 upload.

Mail has worked fine since moving to BT using homehub 2 wireless about 18 months ago. A few weeks ago though I started to get error messages (reproduced below) whenever a mail had an attachment of more than 1mb or so. The only way to clear the blockage is to log into the online mailbox, download the attachment from there and delete the email. I thought this was a local problem but then found other computers in the household were having the same problem. I then found that other people I know who are also BT Broadband customers, not all on my exchange although living quite nearby, are having exactly the same problem.

Have BT done something to their servers to time limit access or is this a windows issue? my error codes below.

Regards,

Tim.

Message number 2 could not be retrieved. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR inactivity timeout', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
0 Ratings
137 REPLIES 137
lorri66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

I am having same problem, but mine has come after not being able to even download emails as password & login wouldn't get recognised. I have been on bt webmail but there is no email with an attachment or that large so not sure what I can do. Other emails are coming through but if I manually send & receive then this imaginary email times out with out downloading and gives the error message.
0 Ratings
tim193
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

Having had a more careful read of the forum I see this is an ongoing issue for many. Does anyone know if this is likely to be BT or Windows Mail issue?

0 Ratings
tim193
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 138

I have just been through bt help online chat. They connected me by phone to Yahoo technical support. My settings were checked and were ok. The operators opinion is that Windows Mail settings have been changed so that if you live in a slow broadband area, as I do, the windows mail times out if you download a mail with an attachment. He was sure that the problem lay that way and has heard a of a lot of problems recently. Not, in his opinion, an issue with BT/Yahoo.

0 Ratings
alones
Contributor
Message 5 of 138

Eack ones of us that contacts them gets told a different tale. Someone else has been told it is a BT/Yahoo issue. BT keep telling me it is a windows issue... so what does it happen on my Mac too??? I also live 100 yeards from the exchange so have good broadband speeds, so that can't be the issue......

The onlt factor I have discovered so far is that for me anyway of only happens on wireless access NOT wired.

Getting more frustrtaed by the day! Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
alones
Contributor
Message 6 of 138

Looks like they have owned up...........

In that case, you will have to :

1)login to your email account on www.bt.yahoo.com (please have the Outlook closed while being on webmail)
2)go to your mail page and then inbox
3)create a new folder by clicking on " Add Folder" on the left and name it anything you want
4)select the emails with attachments and move them into the newly created folder by clicking on the "Move" button above the topmost email and the selecting the newly created folder.
5)also do the same for any email above the size of 2MB if you use a dial up internet and 5MB if using broadband internet.
6)close the page and now check if the Outlook works

Please note that this problem might continue for another few days as there is a problem with attachment activity on email applications due to a problem with the servers and it might take some time to get it solved.
In the meantime, we request you to do any attachment activity on your account on the BT Yahoo website only (www.bt.yahoo.com).
We apologise for the inconvenience.

0 Ratings
tim193
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 138

Very interesting, the Yahoo rep went through all the new folder stuff with me but I thought it was just moving the problem sideways, which it is.

I have tried going through the Windows side of things and have increased the time out in the windows mail properties to no avail. It does seem to be a BT / Yahoo problem. I guess we just have to wait for them to come up with a solution.

Started holding breath now.

0 Ratings
wuh
Beginner
Message 8 of 138

I am also having similar problems, but only with one of two accounts (mine work's fine, my wife's doesn't).  Having used telnet to access the pop3 mail server (mail.btinternet.com) my wife's account has an inactivity time out within a few seconds (<30), where as mine lasts a few minutes - which I think could be the difference between successfully downloading an email with attachment and not!  I haven't called bt as don't want to be passed around and have all the usual things checked (which I have checked).  I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a similar response from the pop3 server when accessed using telnet?  Surely not a difficult one for BT to re-set?

Regards,

Huw

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 138

I too have been having this problem for several weeks. It now seem sto happen with all e-mail even if there is as little as 300-400KB.

The last response I had from the  (no) help desk after a previous reply said wait a few days.

Thank you for your email dated 9th April 2012 . Its logged under the reference number 120.....68 .
I understand from your email that you are facing problem with your email account. I sincerely apologige on behalf of BT and do regret for the same .
I would request you to please wait for a week time as we are trying to fix the issue and hope taht after a week time you will face no problem .

It is about time this problem was sorted.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 138

Now decided enough is enough and have written letter of complaint (good old snail mail) to BT Correspondence centre.

0 Ratings